Looking for some help deciding on an operating system based on what I have...

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by impossibility, Feb 24, 2013.

1. impossibility

impossibility MDL Novice

Feb 24, 2013
    Ok guys I'm new here and was referred by a good friend of mine for some help. I need operating system recommendations for two pieces of hardware I will be utilizing. A compaq netbook with a 1.6ghz single core cpu, 60gb ssd, and 2gb of memory will be mobile livestream/ dj system. Next is a raspberry pi that I want to use as a sound equalization system/ monitor and lighting controller. All of this will be used in conjunction with a portable sound sytem i built and more details/ photos will be given if asked for :biggrin:.

I'm really at a loss here because I'm used to windows, but I have a hunch that Linux is going to be my best bet for a lightning fast system with minimal size If you don't understand what I'm asking please let me know and i will go into more clarification.

Also If i'm asking this in the wrong section please direct me to where i should be and i will corrrect my mistake. If i'm asking the wrong forum please help me find a really good one that can help me out the best, I am going to take my time and do this set up right...

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    u can dualboot windows7 and linux mint on it.. store music on usb hdd.. foam pad it on 4 corners or hdd will die in 3 months from dropping it :ball2:

3. bobmanuk

bobmanuk MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2013
    I have found that windows xp or 7 is good for netbooks, it's really your own preference in that regard, raspberry pi's however are based on arm cpu's and as far as I'm aware there is no windows os for arm cpu's, windows 8 is an exception but getting it onto r-pi is a different story. So your only option is Linux on that front, I don't have an r-pi myself but I've heard debian is the best is to run on it