Looking for utility to list XP permissions

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by artifex, Oct 9, 2011.

1. artifex

artifex MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Hello!

I had some problem today with my system and I would like to know what files have only special permissions. Some files forget its inherited permissions and got some nonsense special permissions and I do not really know why. I had to find those files and enable inherited permissions plus remove special permissions.

So the question is there any software on XP which can list files recursively and their permissions (inherited and special)? Or would be better if it can lists all files with special permission only (I mean permissions which is not inherited) and filter out all files which have no special permission just inherited. That makes easier to find those problematic files.

Thanks,
    a

2. idsk

idsk MDL Junior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    i think you should be able to do this with a batch with "cacls" or "icacls" commands

3. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    windows explorer->tools->folder option->view
    option: [ ] use simple file sharing (remove mark from thick box)
    close and open windows explorer,
    on file or folder, right click->properties. you will see "security" tab. now you can manage file or folder permissions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. artifex

artifex MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Thank you!

Thanks. I know how to get file permissions for one file but I would like to do it recursively.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. artifex

artifex MDL Novice

Aug 5, 2009
    Thanks for the link. I tried it but the problematic folder's root folder comes up as a file and I cannot enter into.