Looking to put Win Xp on a Dell Laptop 4100

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by footballmac, Dec 6, 2010.

1. footballmac

footballmac MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    #1 footballmac, Dec 6, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
    I found an old Dell Inspiron 4100 in my storage unit and thought about giving it to my kids to play with, but can't seem to understand how to load XP on it. It currently has Win 2000 on it. Can someone PLEASE point me in the right direction i.e. (A DUMMY Proof VERSION) of how to do a fresh install & activate.

Thanks,

2. footballmac

footballmac MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    After running oembios tool I figured this out...
    Dell (OEMBIOS.CAT CRC32=B6F0EEFD)
    Ok So I downloaded this from the"OEMBios archive"

Now, I would like to know what to do with it... I don't have an original XP disc, so I am assuming I need to make one but I wish someone would PLEASE help me...

3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Why dont you just locate a dell xp oem disk on the filehosting sites or torrents and install from that? It'll activate on its own too. If it doesnt, you can think about swapping the oembios files with the changer tool.

4. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    all the steps to create the CD you need are in the sticky at the top called 7580-How-To-Create-PRO-OEM-SLP-CD

tip #1: read entire post before doing anything, then read tip #2

tip #2: you need to download an ISO of the official retail XP PRO SP3 from a torrent site. after that check the hash against the hash posted on the Microsoft site. this is to make sure the ISO you download is 100% correct data. you will also need to download 7-zip to extract the ISO so you can make the necessary changes.

tip #3: one problem I had was that I used different paths than C:\temp and C:\XPOEM. I ran into trouble when using MAKEISO because of this. if you use different paths like I did, you have to change the paths in MAKEISO under startup -> directories and configuration -> boot.

5. thomas-007

thomas-007 MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2011
    I think you might want to go to Dell and download the specs on the laptop and find any divers you can for the listed hardware - It might be you will have to download directly from the hardware mnf like Atheros for the wireless, and what ever flavor of modem, Alps has drivers for touch pad, or maybe synaptic - If it were me I would really endoevor to gather the dirvers and burn them to a cd for a clean xp install - Be sure to locate the video driver for the chipset - AMD is pretty easy to get drivers for.

Really find out what the specs are on the laptop and make your list....

Good Luck - It might take a bit

6. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    heck of a bump..:confused:

With XP sp3 it is unlikely any drivers will be needed. Also, it is likely that the problem has been solved:cool:

-enjoy!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. alexa

alexa MDL Novice

Feb 14, 2010
    its very usefull for me
    Thanks