Losing login credentials in various programs repeatedly

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SL2, Nov 24, 2020.

1. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #1 SL2, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    Edit: SOLVED

Final update: After updating the graphics drivers, all the problems went away.

I'm posting this because I'm surprised that it could be caused by graphics drivers, so maybe it can help someone else with similar problems.

I'm running a month old clean install of 18363.1139 on my laptop.

Opera, Github, Onedrive, Cyberghost VPN and Edge are some programs that keeps losing the login credentials after a reboot. With Opera and Edge I mean logins for sites, not the actual programs.

I've never read up on Credential Manager, but it's easy to suspect it at this point.
    However, I don't think it's responsible for my youtube (I'm never logged in) personal suggestions which also vanishes, or other site settings. IMDb's Recently watched is gone. I have to accept Google and Youtube EULA every time I start the computer.

I had a crash just the other day when Blender ran out of memory, and after that it happens every time I start the laptop. Although it also happened before, maybe a few times since install.

What should I do?

2. AveYo

AveYo MDL Expert

Feb 10, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    I hadn't started it when this happened, I use it rarely. Also, I used the same VPN before on my previous laptop, never saw anything like this.

I will try your other suggestions, much appreciated.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Losing login credentials in various programs repeatedly - if it is so, then they are not stored/saved on your system or deleted by You or by some programs. All these login data are usually stored as cookies, if You delete cookies, you also delete login data wich are usually stored for every browser or device separately and in separate places.
    So, it nay be caused by this reason.
    Also there were already said above, one reason may be using VPN and one very important reason have not still said - it is using Blender.
    But these are not tho only ones, there may be tens of other reasons. For example You said that you're using 18363.1139 - it's enough old version, what may be damaged and need fixing or at all reinstalling and so on.
    But it is more than sure - it is not related any way to the hard drive. Simply not possible.
    One more thing, You probably forgot - OneDrive, Edge, etc these all are Microsoft and you login with Microsoft account.
    YouTube, Chrome, etc - these are Google and You login with Google account. But You may be have used Microsoft or Google data to login to other places, if so, then when You log off for example from Your email (for example outlook, live, hotmail, etc) or from OneDrive or even from You log off from other places related to this login data or cookies.
    Now what to do.
    • The first thing to do - check Your OS health and if needed, fix it
    • the second thing to do - do not use any kind of software, if You don't need it or if You don't know what it does.
    • The third thing to do - do not delete never useful cookies, but only malicious cookies.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    My OS version is from October 13, not what I'd call old version. It was a clean install so obviously not an old install either.

I don't use a MS account with Edge, and like I said in my first post, I'm not ever logged in on youtube.
    I don't log out of MS/Google or remove cookies (not even automatically) every time I shut down.

Even if I did, it doesn't explain various site settings being reset on more than one browser, and Github desktop which is a separate program also drops the login (not MS/G account).

6. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    If this all is true, what You told, then it is a complicated thing and without seeing your computer it is quite impossible to guess what the problem is exactly there.
    If this happened at some point and you didn't have this problem before, it's probably due to some changes to your computer.
    Think about what you have changed recently.

7. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #8 SL2, Nov 24, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
    (OP)
    Yeah, I'm aware of the 2004 bug, but given the amount of 1909 users across the world I think we don't need to speculate about it.
    If this was a common 1909 bug then it would have showed up in this forum a long time ago. You can't miss it unless you're only using the install once, or never use internet.
    That said, I'm not saying that I know all the past issues posted here, far from it. :D You know probably 1000 times more about Windows than I do.

The Credential Manager doesn't keep track of my in-site browsing history at IMDb, that's just one indication of this being something else. It gets cleared after every reboot.
    I'm using IMDb as an example here because it's unrelated to MS/G accounts or Windows.
    I'm just assuming here, but I can't imagine this being stored anywhere else than in cookies, especially since I'm not logged in at IMDb.com.
    upload_2020-11-24_23-41-25.png

Or like how you choose which country you live in the first time you visit a site. Gone. Still, the cookies are there, like expected.

I'll keep on testing for now, will post again if/when I have any clue of what's going on..

Thanks for your help.

8. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    The insanity seems to have stopped. I've narrowed it down to two uninstalled programs that may have caused it, although I still find it all very unlikely. :confused:

9. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    #10 SL2, Dec 6, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    (OP)
    Edit: I was wrong, the issues still persists (and it didn't have anything to do with the two programs I mentioned).
    It doesn't happen after every boot though. For instance, it doesn't seem to happen when restarting.
    Leaving the laptop shut off seems to trigger it somehow (no fast startup enabled).

10. SL2

SL2 MDL Member

Jan 18, 2012
    SOLVED

Final update: After updating the graphics drivers, all the problems went away.

I'm posting this because I'm surprised that it could be caused by graphics drivers, so maybe it can help someone else with similar problems.