Losing Win Loader's activation on Win 7 when booting from one partition to another

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by James Titan, Jul 18, 2016.

1. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Resume: External HDD 2 partitions Win 7 Pro & Win 10
    Internal HDD disconnected
    First install Win 7 Pro activated by Win Loader, second partition Win 10 Pro activated.After install on second partition and booting in Win 7 back, activation is gone.Win Loaders install : successfully installed, reboot ...... but no chance... 28 days left to activate....
    No problem to recover activation through backup, but like to know if losing activation is normal in this case.
    Appreciate advice.

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Maybe the 10 install changed someting at the bootsector and it made the loader's actions on it, undone?

3. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #3 Daz, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Boot to Windows 10, open up command prompt as an administrator and enter the following.

Code:
    bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

bcdedit /set {default} bootstatuspolicy ignoreshutdownfailures
    Boot to Windows 7 and then reinstall the loader.

You'll probably need to repeat these steps any time Windows 10 performs an upgrade.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    #4 James Titan, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    negative result: first try- unsupported partition table, re-installed backup, result 25 days....., another try same result.
    thks for your help

5. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Are you now getting the black boot menu? It'll ask you if you want to boot to Windows 10 or Windows 7.

Go to the loaders advanced options tab and select to enable the debug boot menu. Press install, select to reboot when prompted and then wait to see if a new menus displayed. If you don't see a new menu then something is preventing the loader from launching correctly.

If you're using new hardware then make sure that secure boot is disabled.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    have black boot menu,did debug but don't see a new menu and i'm not using new hardware.
    Regarding "secure boot" i'm working with a MBR bios.

7. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I don't suppose you've got an anti-virus installed that could be breaking the installation of the loader? Some will silently prevent changes even when they're supposed to be "disabled".

The only other thing that I can think of is that your Windows 7 install is pointing to a redundant boot partition. Maybe Windows 10 created it's own and the loaders getting installed to the wrong one. It'd depend on how you've installed both OS's onto the drive.

8. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    I just deactivated my antivirus (Eset Smart Sec.), no result.How I proceeded:full formatted external HD ( diskpart ), installed Win 7 from PC internal HD connected (obvious),disconnected internal HD,activated with Loader, created second partition, installed Win 10 Pro.At that moment Win 1o is automatically the active partition and from now on i lose the activation on Win 7.
    I have "de_windows_10_10586_1511_2_German_x32 " ( without SP1 ) and use " NT6_Fast_Installer 10-07-2016 " to do the installations.If there is something wrong plse let me know before i start again from scratch.

9. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    On a normal HDD it's done like this.

1. Install Windows 7 and allow it to create whatever partition layout that it wants to
    2. Shrink the partition so that you've got enough for a second OS
    3. Install Windows 10 to the second partition
    4. Restore the legacy boot menu from Windows 10
    5. Boot to Windows 7 and install the loader
    If you do it like that it'll work perfectly all of the time.

I think what's messing things up for you is that you're using "NT6_Fast_Installer" and you mention that during the installation of Windows 7 you've got the internal HDD connected instead of a USB or DVD. I'm not familiar with "NT6_Fast_Installer" to comment on it, but I'm guessing that it doesn't create the 100MB System Reserved partition containing the boot files? That would be a problem.

With everything setup you could boot to Windows 7 and install EasyBCD. Maybe if you re-create/repair the boot files and re-write the MBR it'll sort out the mess? I'm only guessing at this point though.

Your other option is to install a BIOS mod or use Windows 7 Pro instead. You can then activate Windows 7 Pro with a KMS application of your choice.

10. James Titan

James Titan MDL Member

Nov 7, 2013
    i will give it a try and let you know, thank you.

11. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    Or might try EASYBCD tools?