Lost activation after reset

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by skryabin, Jul 29, 2015.

1. skryabin

skryabin MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #1 skryabin, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    I started from OEM 8.1 Pro activated

upgraded to win 10 pro, it stayed activated, so far so good...

But I decided it was time to do a reset...and I lost my activation after the reset :mad::mad:
    Phone activation refused my ID, the guy at the phone told me to reinstall 8.1 and do the upgrade process again

But I tried another thing: clean install win 10 from usb
    I deleted every partition on my pc, started from a clean disk and skipped every key request during the setup

guess what?

I'm again activated :eek:
    not a fishy mak key, not an oem key, but it says retail :confused:

Do you think I can stay safe? or should I do the upgrade process again?

Should I check something to understand if it's a legit activation or some kind of error?

2. gabrielmorrow

gabrielmorrow MDL Member

Jul 5, 2013
    someone needs a way to backup and restore these hardware id actiovation things

3. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    I think its just stored how it was in 8/8.1 for offline use so advance token manager might still work for this, activation is also stored online (so wont be able to backup that) no one us sure exactly what Microsoft backs up to there server i guess its all the info stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. skryabin

skryabin MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2012
    #4 skryabin, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    (OP)
    a backup could be something useful

but can you see the strangeness?

win 8.1 activated updated fine to win 10 activated (changed from oem to retail), and this was expected ok

win 10 reset lost my activation and nothing worked to reactivate it (phone call didn't work), two microsoft guys told me to rollback to 8.1 and do again the entire update but I went for a clean install try. Is it intended to lost activation after the a reset?

after win 10 clean install, it's again activated (retail) without entering any key, seems like this time my license was found in microsoft servers, or not? Should I check something to ensure my win 10 activation is legitimate and not some kind of temporary bug?

5. MrAnalysis

MrAnalysis MDL Senior Member

Aug 4, 2012
    The only reason behind this i can think of is a firewall blocking microsoft from retrieving your activation details or there servers busy at the time. They have reserved allot of bandwidth but still them servers will be getting hammered right now.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...