Lost al apps, custom installed softwares and even apps on the windows tiles start.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Newtechie, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Hello guys, I am facing a very peculiar and serious problem, I installed Windows 8 pro x64 on my hdd and it worked perfectly, the activation was a breeze and everything was fine.

then I couldn't access the net from that partition, for a long time.

I was out and when I came back my internet was not working, so I logged on and found that the start screen and the desktop softwares are not functioning at all !! yes nothing was functioning... I was trying everything, even refreshed my PC but nothing happended.

I have tried everything but there are no apps on the tile interface called metro !! only a link to desktop but then also the softwares installed there are not functioning..

tried everything...

Don't want to go and format and reinstalll everything...

Please suggest ways out..

Thanks.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    #2 EFA11, Jul 3, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Could be an infection?!

Check for Virus, Trojan, Rootkit etc.!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    I had only installed official apps in that, firefox, chrome, core temp, and one du meter app.. I was given a warning that the supporting file of that was malware but I let it be deleted and did not proceed with installation, I had also installed comodo firewall and there were no problems with that too.
    Rest of the applications in tiled metro interface were installed by the official app store from microsoft.

one thing that keeps troubling my mind is that this installation always warned of disk errors, but I got it checked and everything was ok there too, the reason was that of another installation in another hdd as I choose in booting what to boot to.

But I don't know !! what happened, as I said, the system was not even used for 5 days and there was no internet.

5. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    I activated it with official online activation so no activators were used.

6. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    Friends, this is really a tough situation for me, please advice.. Please..

I wanted to ask also whether Windows 8 pro x64 functions cool on a secondary port ( meaning not th e0 port or 1 port in nomenclature in BIOS ) and that too as a slave drive..

Coz my installation asks for disk checks all the time and so much so that I had to take out the hdd that runs my Windows 7 to boot into Windows 8 pro

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    #8 Newtechie, Jul 7, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
    (OP)
    Thanks for your reply, I can re install Windows but then again going through Activation.. ( but I can save my activation data and then reactivate, offline only. Thanks )
    I tried refresh and all other things on Windows 8 the system seems to work fine but the start screen is blank ! and so I thout of asking as I don't want to have another situation arise again.
    As for HDD errors, I used HD tune pro and HDD sentinel, they didn't show any erros but Windows 8 showed HDD messages and scans after I booted in Windows7 on another HDD, but I will get these apps and would try to find out more.

You are a real help.
    Ohh and just after I checked, HDD regenerator link is not working..

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    HDD Setinel is a great program as well. Unlike the 2 I told you to use for checking, sentinel didn't has the capability for to repair "Soft-Errors" which is the main feature of the 2 apps I wrote about!

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To create a new partition on an already problem HDD is more than useless and could result in total loss of data!

What the OP could do is, just try to get rid off Soft-Errors first and after that, if everything works fine, just create an Image of the existing HDD with ALL content to an other HDD or external drive/Storage.

Personally I would use to Low Level format the Problem HDD after done the above using an program called LowLevelFormat tool, free to download from: hddguru.com, doing a High Level Format after that and restore the system from the Image. That would be the most efficient way to get all back to work normally.

12. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    I have this as a new installation, it is activated that is the reason that I was so bad at seeing to install it again, but I would gladly do it.

What about my query of installing Windows 8 pro x64 on second channel as a slave ??

13. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    The HDD that has problems in not the one that is shown as th einstalled Win 8 HDD, it is the 5th HDD in my pc... so I would use the apps you told me about... no worries and will report back.

14. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    I came across this wonderful tool, joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/ that I could use to backup my activation data.. so
    I would proceed with changing my hdd channels (after taking a note of thedrive letters that I have in my hdd's) so that I can put the drive letter again at the same place... and alphabet..

15. Newtechie

Newtechie MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2012
    :confused: Well I am sorry for being away from here, but I haven't yet found a solution to my problem till now.

I decided that I would save the activation token for my new installation but the apps have more or less stopped working now on that Windows 8 installation.

I have lost a HDD totally to those tests on every boot, I am certain of it.

So it is a tech challenge where I try and tried most of the solutions but nothing substantial came out of anything..

I still need your supprt and guidance guys..

try to help me..