Lost KB and mouse after updates

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by maly70, Nov 28, 2012.

1. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Hi there, I updated win8 pro for synaptic, windows instruct me remove previous driver to install the updated driver, after so and after restart I could not use now my KB and pointing device, I can't login to win to reinstall drivers... Help please
    Thank you

2. win98_SE

win98_SE MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    Are you sure you can't use ether KB or Mouse? Never knew Synaptics also manufacture KBs, trackpad yes. If you have a spare mouse around, then use that to get into the PC, and make sure to install Synaptics Windows 7 drivers (x86 or 64, which ever your system is), and it should work work with Win8. If anything, your other option is to do a refresh with the system thru Windows 8 Boot Startup.

3. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Thank you win98 SE, I never said synaptics is making KB or mouses!
    I have HP Probook 4530s and after winUpdates I had to install
    Synaptics new updated driver but windows8 update did not install it instead I was instructed it by win8 to remove older driver then restart then the installation will take place but I couldn't pass first screen after restarting my laptop cause KB and touchpad are not working now.
    How to do a refresh thru win8 Boot Startup! Thank you Win98 SE

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #4 Shenj, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    Insert your Windows 8 USB/DVD choose "Repair" and Refresh or Reset.
    If you have Windows RT Hardware you can boot into Recovery Mode through a button combination.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    How to boot into recovery mode thru button combination cause I'm in hospital now and do not have win8 DVD with me
    Thank you

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #6 Shenj, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    There is no button combination for your Device, in fact there is no Spec for a Hardware button combination for non RT devices (but OEMs can still implement one)
    So without a USB/DVD or no way to boot into W8 and restart with "Advanced Startup" you can not Refresh or Reset.

He is at a hospital and probably has nothing to even get this far it seems :)

Also "Shift+F8" is "supposed" to work but it never did here, so i don't know.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Michel

Michel MDL Expert

Jul 29, 2009
    Got the same issue a year or 2 ago with a old laptop from me, the windows update said i should install their newest drivers and after a few minutes (or hours) the mouse didn't work anymore. I fixed this to use a bluetooth mouse from logitech and remove those drivers. Don't install drivers from synaptic, those will do the same. If a mouse/keyboard works from them then don't install those drivers.

8. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    I can't login or pass the first screen in windows 8 cause no touchpad/trackpad, KB not working and dunno what to do now, im in hospital and dont have my windows 8 usb or DVD with me, im writing this with the same laptop but diff OS Mountain lion. Good that i another OS with windows 8 > As long windows is working but cause of synaptics driver.. is there anyway to boot into recovery mode or refresh my laptop from within the installed windows 8? OR any other tick just to enter windows desktop so i can reinstall touchpad/trackpad and other drivers if needed.
    Thank you in advance mates

9. win98_SE

win98_SE MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    If it weren't for that Macintosh you wouldn't be in here. But I'm not a Mac user (even tho I have played with it), maybe you should try setting Windows as default Start up, then Windows MAY give you the boot option to swap between Macintosh OS X and Windows 8, which then you could try to get in. But not fully sure. Google for that "set windows as default boot camp" Do you have like a Flash drive around? If you do, you could also make a bootable Windows 8 and/or Recovery drive. (BTW feel better at the Hospital!)

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As I understand from Post #3, he's using an HP Probook 4530s which isn't a Mac. Maybe he's using an Hackintosh?! Doing that he'll still have access top the Windows 8 Partition anbd therefore he could manually delete the driver for Synaptic which will mainly in System32/Drivers folder of Windows 8. Restart will force Windows to load a default MS Driver because of the missing Synaptic driver. While restarting, give Windows app. 5-10min time without to try to log on so Windows could load all relevant drivers first.

That normally should help.

11. eydee

eydee Guest

Not the best solution but might work if nothing else does. Start windows, then reset the PC during boot-up. Yes, it can hurt your hdd, file system and stuff like that, but windows should show advanced boot options next time, as it always has since windows 95. Only at your own risk.

If you have people visiting you in the hospital, you can phone them and ask them to bring your windows dvd. I think this would be the best and easiest solution.

12. win98_SE

win98_SE MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    That method doesn't work. Tried it before. Microsoft pretty much killed off access to Advanced boot through that / F8. Which is really stupid........... I understand fast booting, but they could of optionally allowed a setting somewhere to re-enable it smfh -__- Best he can do is just then stick with the Mac, and thats about it. Unless someone can get em a DVD so he can burn Windows 8 ISO through the Mac.

13. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #13 Shenj, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    yeah they completly screwed it up, i really don't get why you can't just press F8 to show that damn new boot manager when Windows is loading, where you can get acccess to Reset/Refresh/CMD etc :\
    It's basicly the worst change Microsoft did to windows, making it so much harder to access important recovery options when you just can not boot into Windows and have no USB/DVD with Windows Setup/WinPE on it..
    It's not even a issue of the new Boot Manager which is basicly only showing up when Windows is already fully loaded, it's just one team @ Microsoft being lazy implementing a proper solution :\, simply ridiculous

Better hope the Windows Blue update is also fixing this issue the current Boot Manager has.

The only solution right now is to force the Boot Manager GUI to always show with "Bcdedit /set {bootmgr} displaybootmenu yes" but ofcourse... you have to do that before you actually get a issue..

Windows RT devices must have a Hardware solution to get into recovery options (press button combination while starting) but ofc.. Microsoft did not add any requirement for x86 PCs, so if a OEM did not implement it's own Solution, you are screwed on a new Device too.

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    May he should just try what I wrote in my post (Post #12).

I done exactly that for the driver of my old Graphic Card as they was burned and I was need to get the new one to work. I also had the problem that I could not use my (Logitech)Wireless Keyboard any more. I than manually deleted the Logitech Drivers and as that were not the Problem, the EVGA Graphic Driver also and viola, that was working. While deleted the Logitech Drivers, Mouse and Keyboard were not working directly and I had to wait 2min for to get the Keyboard back working switching it off an on a few times, and had to re-install the Apps from Logitech for to get both, Keyboard and Mouse to work from same Receiver, to get both back working. After that I could install the new Asus Graphic Card driver and all went well.

15. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    #15 RJARRRPCGP, Nov 30, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
    Sounds more like that X.Org hissy fit I get with Linux distros.

Never heard of that with Windows. Especially with the keyboard being unusable!

16. maly70

maly70 MDL Junior Member

Jan 12, 2008
    Hi eydee, that what i've done and now i on windows 8, Hackinotsh has the other side and thnkd you for helping me.

17. win98_SE

win98_SE MDL Novice

Sep 19, 2012
    Remember, Microsoft is gone the Mobile OS way, now with Win8 (Excluding WPhone). Makes me feel like you would have to go through some hacking to restore the Advanced mode. Its like Android, getting into the Recovery Mode to apply custom ROMs / Recovery Mode. Microsoft in ways is just being a follower.