Lost oem cd, used COA key with retail Win 7 pro.. question on activation

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by jguy, Nov 7, 2010.

1. jguy

jguy MDL Novice

Dec 25, 2007
    #1 jguy, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    I recently acquired an PC built by a UK company which usually comes with a restore disc which is linked to an SLIC in the BIOS. However i did not have this disc, i had a windows 7 pro oem disc from a dell PC. I used this disc to install Win 7 pro 64 and used the serial key from the COA on the pc to activate.. it said this type of activation cannot be done online and i had to use the automated telephone service.. which activated the key without issue. My question, since i'm selling this on, is this kind of activation legit and will it stick? Once activated it can't be deactivated can it? :eek:

2. ozzyboy

ozzyboy MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    When you selling on this pc, you must have the invoice, from your seller and also you must have the sticker with COA key.
    And yes...once it's activated it can''t be deactvated...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    If the PC was build for windows 7 then i expect it will have slic 2.1 within the bios. If so, then all you will need to do is to obtain the correct Certificate and oem windows key and then you will be able to active, so whats the pc model number and manufacture ect...