Lowercase CMD Command Script

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Duckz, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    #1 Duckz, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Hi all,

In certain circumstances, I prefer to bulk rename files in a given directory so all files are lowercase. I currently use the below command in CMD, which I found online, to achieve this;
    Code:
    for /r %D in (.) do @for /f "eol=: delims=" %F in ('dir /l/b/a-d "%D"') do @ren "%D\%F" "%F"
    The process I currently do is;
    - Have the command in a txt file
    - Open the txt file and copy the command
    - Go to the directory that has files I want to lowercase
    - Shift + Right Click and "Open Command Window Here"
    - Paste and execute the command

I'm wondering if there would be a way I can streamline this process.

Thanks.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    So after doing a little more tinkering on my own, I've shorten the process somewhat.

I've put the command (with double % signs) into a batch file, named it "lowercase.bat" and placed it in System32;
    Code:
    C:\Windows\System32\lowercase.bat
    for /r %%D in (.) do @for /f "eol=: delims=" %%F in ('dir /l/b/a-d "%%D"') do @ren "%%D\%%F" "%%F"
    Now, when I Shift + Right Click and "Open Command Window Here", I simple type "lowercase".

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I got bored today, and after about 20 minutes of Googling, I've streamlined this process even further.

Create and place Lowercase.bat into C:\Windows\System32 with the following content;
    Code:
    @ehco off
    for /r %%D in (.) do @for /f "eol=: delims=" %%F in ('dir /l/b/a-d "%%D"') do @ren "%%D\%%F" "%%F"
    exit
    Create and run Lowercase.reg with the following content;
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Run Lowercase Script]
    @="&Run Lowercase Script"
    "Icon"="%SystemRoot%\\System32\\shell32.dll,71"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Run Lowercase Script\command]
    @="C:\\Windows\\System32\\Lowercase.bat \"%V\""
    Now all you have to do is navigate to the directory that contains all files you want to lowercase the filenames of, right-click a blank space in explorer, and select Run Lowercase Script from the context menu. The script will than run in that directory.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Or
    Put this into a uppercase_to_lowercase.cmd file and run this file in this folder where You want to change file names
    Code:
    for /f "Tokens=*" %%f in ('dir /l/b/a-d') do (rename "%%f" "%%f")
    for /r /d %%x in (*) do (
        pushd "%%x"
        for /f "Tokens=*" %%f in ('dir /l/b/a-d') do (rename "%%f" "%%f")
        popd
    )

or

make this powershell script and run it in desired folder
    Code:
    dir | Rename-Item -NewName { $_.Name.ToLowerInvariant() }

5. Duckz

Duckz MDL Junior Member

Jan 6, 2010
    I've been using my above solution daily for the last few years without issue.
    Except today was the first time I've accidently ran it in a directory where I hadn't intended to. Wasn't overly important though.

So I thought I would finally get around to testing out ChatGPT (yes I know, it's taken a while), and making some changes, and here they are:

Lowercase.bat
    Code:
    @echo off

echo Are you sure you want to rename all files to lowercase?
    echo [Y] Yes
    echo [N] No

choice /C YN /N

if errorlevel 2 exit /b

for /f "eol=: delims=" %%F in ('dir /l/b/a-d') do (
        ren "%%F" "%%F"
    )

exit /b
    Lowercase.reg
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Lowercase]
    @="Convert to Lowercase"
    "Icon"="%SystemRoot%\\System32\\shell32.dll,71"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Lowercase\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c C:\\Windows\\System32\\Lowercase.bat \"%V\""
    Now I'm prompted before the command is executed, and a simple press of Y or N on the keyboard is required.
    Also changed the command itself a bit. Previously it was also looking inside subdirectories and renaming those files (which I did not realise as I was never in that situation). That no longer occurs. It will name only rename files in a base directory.