LSTB 2016 - HD chuntering away

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by nonlin01, May 6, 2018.

1. nonlin01

nonlin01 MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Hi,
    Just got a clean install, not even got any networking setup as I wanted to play around with a Win 10 version that was stripped back and more Win 7 like than the normal offering (less MS toys and applets I have no need for).
    The issue is on this 'test' installation, the HD is constantly chuntering away. Defender is installed but I've disabled at least one of the check boxes
    I wonder if the greatly reported HD death caused by Win10 some years back is still a concern or has that become a thing of the past? (so many people reporting having drives fails soon after Win 10 installation due to constant or excessive access/use). I thought such things were rumour-mill and anti MS talk, but there are so many reports of this from people searching google that there seemed to be something in it.
    So, do others, especially using LSTB and considering there is no web access or any other s/w installed other than the fresh LSTB 2016 (gained and check-summed from here) have such a problem or had this issue?
    Thanks.

2. mooty221

mooty221 MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2016
    i have this issue with WUDFHost. for some reason it likes to scan all data on my external hard drive, i dont know any other solution other than to delete it. it doesn't affect my windows installed ssd though.

3. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    sure i had win 10 chuntering away and my over ten yr old laptop with 2gb of memory still going strong although don't use as everyday; other laptop also over 10yr old using server 2016 datacentre; ok those dell and hp are business laptops and not consumer models but are 80gb hdd and have gone from win xp to latest 10 on one laptop over the years and the other has gone from server 2003 to server 2016 over the years; also lots of files and movies and tv shows and software installed, deleted, upgraded and no problems even though hdd on the win10 one works too much and the server 2016 one has much less hdd chatter so am glad to be on 2 yrs now on other dell i5 with 8gb memory and 1tb hdd on server 2016 till server 2019 comes out in fall as i will always use server as my main machine OS and experiment with win 10 and later on other machines to test; lots of options on this forum in other threads to iimit services running, limit machine phoning home to microsoft and other things to block that cause chatter to internet ip's or services; hdd's dying are a fact of life but not a result of windows 10 or any other microsoft OS; there are hdd lemon models and some just need firmware updates sometimes from manufacture just like bios firmware updates correct problems sometimes; ssd atleast with the current generations will alleviate your concerns but they are not perfect and they will eventually die as well and they also have some lemon models that are not as good as others when doing your homework on internet; f you have hdd concerns back up important data every so often

i haven't used antivirus software or any bloated security software on my OS's since windows defender came out many moons ago and that software in memory also does a lot of hdd checking just like other software does checks so there are many causes that you will never stop completely as it would be like trying to stop your heart beat and hoping to stay alive :) cheap analogy but you get the point :)

4. nonlin01

nonlin01 MDL Junior Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Thanks all. This is on an i5 Asus test system with 4Gb ram (I know, not much by todays standards) but it's constantly chuntering every few seconds, never had that with non LSTB and Win 7 versons - just a clean non-IP setup initial install.