LTSB N - What's the point?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Bezalel, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    For all those users who like LTSB N, what's the point in it? Wouldn't Windows 7 provide you with better application support?

2. AzTec

AzTec MDL Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Its like saying, why run Win Se7en Ultimate, when you could jus run home and pro.

Because we Can :beee:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    #3 cuteee, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    In Windows 10 the thumbnail cache not deleted like in Windows 7/8/8.1.

But I don't like this version of windows 10.

4. cyberloner

cyberloner MDL Member

Sep 19, 2009
    lightweight bro... smooth computing....

5. didmybest

didmybest MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2015
    What's the point of the app store when I'm not going to use it? I mean, I'm not some f**king retard new to Windows who thinks the only way I can get a program through my computer is through the store.

What's the point of windows media player when I'll always use my own program (MPC-HC) to play movies and music?

6. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    No need to use bad language!
    The OP asks what's the point? One could stick to w7 N and I have to agree.
    I suggest you reread his post...your reply is off...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yep, games very bad forget unfortunately and audio also so I return to Window 10 x64 and remove all Apps with Powershell now testing here :p

8. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Just read the dedicated thread and answer yourself

Why not XP or Win2k, then?

9. Relaxation

Relaxation MDL Novice

Nov 14, 2008
    DX12. Waiting for DX12 game...

10. MEDFAX

MEDFAX MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2015
    no apps, no store, no edge,old calculator, less tweaks

11. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Lightweigth!!

I'm just installing the 32bit now on my Laptop and will after that cerate an WinToUSB (after stripping some more apps) for to use as Service Drives in my own business! The plain Windows 10 will only have those apps it really will need and the 3.party apps we need for our work. It will be even better, and faster too (I believe) than the normal Version. If all runs well, I'll install again clean on my Laptop as 64bit for to use on the laptop too!

One more, it will also be interesting if WinToUSB 2.3 (use till now 2.2Beta!) will also create an activated drive direectly or I need to activate again?! Let see!!

12. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    some ppl think ltsb is free from logging and data collect, they are wrong:mad:

13. freiwald

freiwald MDL Senior Member

Jul 27, 2015
    #13 freiwald, Aug 13, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
    who thinks that? never seen this in any ltsb thread. ltsb edition is just about no mobile stuff (store,apps, cortana) just pure windows, like back in the day with windows 7. the main ltsb thread even mention how to disable most of the stuff in the first post. so i really don't know how you come to this conclusion that anyone things this version is a "spying free" version. but apperently you think you are safe on windows 7 or 8 too? your're not.
    if you want to be safe, get linux but yes everyone knows that is no alternative to windows.

btw im not mad, i just had enough of people hearing some stuff and then talking bulls**t.
    it's ok don't use it but then don't use any other version of windows too.

14. fockoff

fockoff MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2015
    LTSB = Let The Sharing Begin
    LTSB N = Let The Sharing Begin... NOT!

15. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    I installed LTSB N because I prefer W10 without media player and edge /Internet explorer.
    That's good enough for me whether the tweak to disable telemetry / phone home/ spying..
    AFAIK if there is security update, anytime Ms can upload new fix/security update to overcome the tweak anyway.

16. damianfox

damianfox MDL Senior Member

Jan 23, 2011
    This is exactly why I run it.

17. Y314K

Y314K MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2014
    Even with the tweak to disable updates. And as soon as one manually does an update one re-tweaks to disable them again ?

18. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    There's little difference between LTSB and LTSB N. N version seems to just have the codecs and dvdplay stuff removed. Neither of them have windows apps.
    Why use this over win7? Well it depends what programs you're running. If all you run are old games or programs, there is no point.

If you have an 8core processor, fast ssd, and want to run dx12 games, then LTSB is obviously preferred.

We have this argument every time they make a new OS. PPL with old hardware say "but it's a lot slower on my old programs"
    It's not meant for old hardware or old programs. It's meant for current hardware and current programs.

19. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    #19 T-S, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
    Murphy, no.

There is more than one point.

Privacy aside, w8 and w10, have a lot of small and not so small things vastly improved over w7.

First of all, boot speed and general responsiveness. W10 is way faster than W7

Then a lot of classic desktop improvements: way better command prompt, scroll of the inactive windows (finally !), iso mounter, better vhd mounter, command and ps prompt here (it was about time!), UP button, and so on.

Network improvements, say virtual wifi and tethering usable from the GUI, metered connections integrated on (and managed by) the system and so on.

A "little" detail that I'm sure many people missed: the basic MS display adapter isn't so basic anymore.

So many old PC, built on the XP era, and out of luck because the lack of Vista or Seven drivers will work reasonably well with 8/8.1/10, and will be capable even of some basic 2D and 3D acceleration.

Hybrid boot: sometime is an annoyance, but often is a great improvement on boot and shutdown.

Back to privacy, although w10, as is, is pretty scary, W7 isn't surely safe, who don trust MS should use a good linux distro, not W7 over W10

And I can continue

20. AcuraTML

AcuraTML Guest