M$ onedrive surprise

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by SpeedDream, Nov 3, 2015.

1. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
  2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It was only a question of time that those change of the available limits would come!

Honestly, how much of Cloud storage is really needed, if any?

As reported on Windowscentral, more than 75TB for a single account?! Could only tell: Wowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! And that should be for legal content only?? Really hardly to believe that, in fact, those and even user's with less amount of storage use, would have placed a lot of content there which isn't only legal! That leads to the conclusion that those free storage is also used for to keep illegal stuff!

Back to the question: How much Cloud Storage would really need? For those MDL Members, who bashing and complaining about the Telemetry and amount of data send to MS servers from users computer, the logic would tell: ZERO Byte/MB/GB/TB!!

In reality, all space I need for to keep my stuff on a secure storage, I could just do with the storage drives of my computer. I could access my computer from any place, where I could get a working Internet connection, and use any of the stored data directly or download what I need. There isn't any need for an extra Cloud Storage!

Beside of that, giving the owner of that Cloud Storage Device already access to all of my data, without ever to know what they could/should/would do with that, I didn't have any possibility for to check, adjust, or whatever would need to be done to improve the security of my used free or even paid storage space! What would be more secure than the Storage of my own computer, on which I simply have 100% control?

At this time, I use 20TB x 2 available Storage in my company for all backups of data from my own company and the systems of my customers, and from that 20TB just 14TB are really used. That x 2 are just the mirror storage. And I still could add 8 more HDD's to that storage before need to expand again! And for that I even wouldn'/t trust any Cloud Service, neither by a Service Provider, nor in a Data Center!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014
    "Mobile first, Cloud first" they said.

I guess not.

I wouldn't mind the cut if they kept the camera-roll bonus. Even on Google I have 15gb for Free. What they will use to gather new users? It's a bad move trying to punish everybody for some users behaviour. I was so happy with a few documents and photos in the cloud, but now I have to choose another place to store them, and they're not illegal. They are files from my Android Phone/Camera, Docs from E-mail, and some purchased songs on Play Music, and believe me they're actually takes about 7gb of onedrive. I'm really shocked that even Lumia users gonna have to deal with these little numbers.

4. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    #4 Tiger-1, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
    really dude, congrats to the categoric and honest thread :) @ Pisthai

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Garbellano

Garbellano MDL Addicted

Aug 13, 2012
    you get what you paid?

EDIT
    They are eating s**t already...

6. WaltC

WaltC MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2014
    Absolutely. Local storage has never been cheaper. Best of all, imo, it still works fine even if the Internet goes down. You can unplug it at will when you are connected, thus guaranteeing 100% security for that data, etc. I much prefer being in direct control of my own assets.

7. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    There is no such thing as 100%, because if your PC is infected, what ever you plug in can be compromised.

Even though cloud storage is safer than your PC, the point at which you transfer data becomes the weak link so that any data can be compromised in the transfer of it, but again in theory once in cloud storage it is safer that on a PC drive, internal or external.

8. MrG

MrG MDL Addicted

May 31, 2010
    I just checked my "free" space & its still @ 40 GB.
    When is this change going to be happening?

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #9 odiebugs1, Nov 3, 2015
  10. Dutchman01

Dutchman01 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I don't care for OneDrive or kind if sorts, beter build or use a NAS storage device yourself.

The space you like and also useable to get access to around the globe, and as big in storage size as you like!
    And better, full control of it yourself, no surprises.

11. lucidus

lucidus MDL Member

Mar 18, 2015
    Pretty nasty surprise just because a few people allegedly used hundreds of TB's on an unlimited service. I'm glad I don't depend on any cloud service for storage. I've no desire to use their service after losing capacity from 30GB to 5GB. Will they set Outlook to 2MB as well? You know, productivity and s**t.

12. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    I'm all for that. Which do you recommend? I need something I can setup easily running on a machine at my home, with a secure connection to the Internet so I can access it from anywhere on my phones and computers. Oh, and fully integrated so my photos automatically upload, that sort of thing. (I am currently running a SharePoint server but it is: 1-a pain in the @$$ to setup and keep running; and 2-slow as a dog.)

13. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    #16 sevenacids, Nov 3, 2015
    Wow, I'd really like to have the upstream bandwidth of that 75 TB guy... at 1 MB/s, it would take me 910 days (two and a half years) to upload that amount of data. Even if you had five computers constantly uploading stuff at that rate, it still be half a year. If this story is true, there must be some illegal stuff going on, but in any case it smells like a bad example to justify the current changes. If you do the math, you know that this kind of "abuse" should be pretty rare.

Anyways, I stopped using OneDrive months ago, only my music collection is still there but I guess I pull it down as well and go the NAS route all the way.

14. SpeedDream

SpeedDream MDL Addicted

Feb 20, 2012
    amazing, who would put 75TB of storage on a MS cloud server?!?:confused: anyhow it's a blow to the whole windows as a service idea and office 365 thingy

50GB from mega, mega for private files and programs and google drive for pictures from the phone, just mega can get slow sometimes but its free and private, who cares

15. vipanonymous

vipanonymous MDL Senior Member

Apr 3, 2014
    People act like we have some CIA documents over our clouds. Please stop with conspiracy theories. :tea:

16. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I love your avatar man, clouds=rain, lol:D

17. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    Yeah, maybe you can open up your the door in your house to the whole world, 24/7, because you don't have CIA documents in your house.