MacBook Pro and USB 3.0 availability?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Syntaxhead, May 21, 2010.

1. Syntaxhead

Syntaxhead MDL Novice

May 20, 2010
    I would like to buy the MacBook Pro but I do not want to purchase it now because USB 3.0 is not available on it. Does anyone know Apple expects to release the MacBook Pro wiith USB 3.0?

2. olegpronin

olegpronin MDL Junior Member

Jul 25, 2007
    I think it should be, but they never said that they will add USB 3.0.

3. 1bit

1bit MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    The next update for sure...

check these articles:

appleinsider.com/articles/10/07/16/apples_updated_mac_pro_imac_rumored_to_have_usb_3_0_faster_firewire.html

macrumors.com/2010/07/16/usb-3-0-and-faster-firewire-in-next-mac-pro-imac/

4. doubtfm

doubtfm MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2010
    not in the nearest future i think, if you want a mac, usb 3.0 will be a problem for you, use firewire instead

5. mackpr

mackpr MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2010
    LaCie has a solution for MBP 17" Unibody or any old MBP with ExpressCard34 slot:
    google for USB 3.0 ExpressCard34 for Mac
    maclife com/article/reviews/lacie_usb_30_expresscard34_review

6. johnkeates

johnkeates MDL Novice

Oct 2, 2009
    It has thunderbolt, which has a convertor to USB3. That is pretty stupid, because USB3 is slow, compared to thunderbolt. Oh, and USB3 devices are quite scarce, so USB3 = FAIL. Even the slower FireWire 800 is better.

7. weinter

weinter MDL Senior Member

Feb 19, 2009
    #7 weinter, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    Come on you don't brick/discontinue old stuff just because you want to push your new stuff to sell.
    Apple can afford to do that because everyone of their customers kisses their feet.
    USB 3.0 provides backward compatibility with USB 2.0 and the amount of USB devices out there makes it very important.
    But OEMs with business partners can't offend clients by breaking backward compatibility.
    Have you also considered the cost to implement completely new ports and standards?
    Not to mention if the performance increase is worth the cost of developing new ports and standards.
    And don't mention Firewire, it makes me laugh.