Macrium Question...

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by ThomasMann, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have clean installed Win7 64 on the totally wiped SSD of the famous Fujitsu Laptop, and, sheer magic, no more cmd or error pop ups. I have installed all the software needed, incl several drivers. There are no other files yet on the laptop.

I now want to have a bootable(?) copy of the whole, 26GB, three partitions, installation using the Macriumfree I have also installed.
    I want to use this copy in case of another "major" problem to re-install the present setup.

If I have understood Macrium correctly, what I want is an Image and not a Clone?

Given the size of 26Gb, is it possible to use 32GB USB stick or microSD card, or do I have to use one of my 1TB external SSDs?

Thank you

2. Egrupov

Egrupov MDL Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Open Macrium, choose from the left Create an image of the... and choos destination Micro SD card and go! It backed up your full computer!

3. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you, will that be bootable? Or what do I do with it, when needed?

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
  5. LittlePro

LittlePro MDL Senior Member

Jan 19, 2017
    #5 LittlePro, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #6 urie, Jul 12, 2019
    @LittlePro , the question was will that backup be bootable, all recovery programs can make bootable usb, cd.dvd, just to load the software not all make bootable media with backup included I know it was off topic mentioning Acronis but it can do it. Make bootable usb thumbdrive with full image backup you can recover full disk image or partitions.
    As for normal backups that is another story you can make them any time. But OP is talking about full disk backup.
    Personally I for data I store on other hard drive and back that up separately.

7. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #7 ThomasMann, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    (OP)
    So once again, no one answers the question that actually was asked?

The question was simple. I used Macrium to install an image of the whole C:\ disc on a USB stick. Will this stick be bootable, to replace the content of that disc at a later time?
    If no, will it be possible to do that with a Rufus USB stick?

8. xman charl

xman charl MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2014
    my backups

partitions.JPG

Charl

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    In most cases, just backup the system drive to whatever target and use the bootdisk for recovery.

I do it with the windows pe se disk i created.

10. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    #11 ThomasMann, Jul 13, 2019
    (OP)
    All my files from docs over music to movies are all backed up in external harddiscs. My question is only about the installed Windows, incl updates and other software
    Macrium says nothing about backup, it offers to clone or to image... I asked about that in the #1...
    What is the bootdisc? The windows pe se disc?

Look for yourself, I searched for:
    https://forums.mydigitallife.net/search/1231420/?q=windows pe se disk&o=date&c[node]=16

....there is nothing there.

11. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    #12 LittlePro, Jul 13, 2019
    Sir,
    1. Make System Image with Macrium & save it to what ever target you want. As marked click that & it will automatically image the partitions required for the Windows OS. Don't forget to verify the Image!

Capture1.JPG

2. Make a bootable rescue media ISO / CD-DVD / Pen drive with macrium as linked in my first post. Check it by booting into it & keep it safely!
    ( If you don't want to dedicate a CD-DVD or Pen drive for the Macrium Rescue Media, make a Rescue ISO & keep it safely. You can burn it to a pen drive whenever required. You can use Rufus for that. While using rufus, you will need to select GPT or MBR as applicable to your system)

3. Boot into the rescue media & make System Image Restore using the saved system image.

That's it.

( To briefly mention :
    Recovery, Rescue, Boot, WinRE, Win PE or PE ISO / Disk are normally bootable media with troubleshooting tools. They are actually meant to take guard against a non booting system. In a non booting system, you can't run troubleshooting steps. Besides, they touched a new height with very advanced tools integrated into it/them.
    While using Macrium, you can make a system image with the app from within the OS but to restore a system image, you have to leave your OS & boot into their dedicated Macrium Rescue Media. Then you can use a saved system image to restore the OS to the point of time. Its an odd because if the OS is good enough, one should need not to boot into the rescue media & it should be in reserve if the OS is too bad.
    That's not the case with default utility. While using in-built Win 7 Backup utility, you don't have to boot into any rescue/installation media compulsorily to restore a system image. You only need to boot into a System Repair disc or Installation media if the OS is not Bootable or too bad.
    But as said earlier, Macrium is really worth try. )

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ThomasMann , I gave you solution acronis can make Bootable USB Hard Drive or USB Thumdrive with backups included, macrium cannot do this it can only make bootable recovery usb thumbdrive or cd (No Backups on them)
    You should have studied options first.

13. LittlePro

Jan 19, 2017
    #14 LittlePro, Jul 13, 2019
    To say honestly, the question is exactly / perfectly answered by sir @urie. Following him you will be able to make a complete recovery USB. You will be able to boot into it & restore the system back to the particular point of time.
    What extra features you can put into it depends upon your liking & the features supported by / for the rescue kit.
    If you are planning to make System Images from time to time, better store them on an external harddisk & not wasting / engaging your pen drive(s) for it because you would be wanting to keep them safe. Keeping system image on a pen drive is only worth if you want to make it bootable & i think one such USB 3.0 pen drive is enough for each system. You can do that very well with sir link.
    I am reminded when i wanted to remove the OEM Recovery Partition from my internal hard disk & write it to a pen drive. It was written to a Usb 3.0 pen drive & the recovery partition was removed after that. For me it was almost an automatic task performed by the hp recovery assistant. You are wanting to make the same!
    I really appreciate that recovery media features set / put by hp & the dedicated pen drive is intact in my safe.

14. SciPhy

SciPhy MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2018
    Please forgive if this is not the appropriate place but, Is there a good and reliable free software to create a Full Windows Image Backup?

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    I believe it was this one: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/winpe-build-your-own.78922/page-4#post-1519909
    And on that is a free to use version of macrium, it's easy to use.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @Enthousiast , he is looking to make bootable recovery media with the backup included Acronis can do that.
    Fair enought if he makes the bootable PE usb he could copy macrium backup to that.
    But to answer his question again macrium cannot make bootable usb thumbdrive, hard drive with backup included.
    @ThomasMann an image file is backup of disk or partition to a file. disk clone is when you copy hard drive /SSD or to another hard drive /SSD.

17. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you, that is the answer I was looking for...

18. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    "...he is looking to make bootable recovery media with the backup included Acronis can do that."

Maybe I am misunderstanding the "backup". A back up to me means my own files and folders... which Macrium f.e. offers to backup as often as I ask.
    But, what I want is a bootable, complete installed system, incl drivers and other software program, but NO files and folders that I fill with my "stuff" and that may needed to be backed up...

19. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

Thank you, but the mdl search engine did not show a single result for PE SE, and I thought macrium alone will do my job too?

What makes it so complicated for me when I try to learn something new here, are links that might be helpful, but then, they contain expressions like "pe se". That means I have to find out what that means, and there is NOTHING to be found, to i have to ask the next question. aso aso aso.
    So I still have no clue what PE SE means....
    So in #1 I always try to formulate a question as precisely as possible, and I rechecked but in #1 the question was exactly asked....
    I understand that most people here know a lot more about computers than I ever will, but that is of no help with my problem. I wanted to know, which of the versions that Macrium allows me to make, is the one for my purpose, and do I need to put it afterwards on a bootable Rufus USB stick. Or is it already bootable by itself.

Of course I am greatful for your help. but it gets frustrating sometimes.