Major Disk Space Problem!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by peppermint23, Jun 30, 2009.

1. peppermint23

peppermint23 MDL Novice

Jun 30, 2009
    I've done disk clean-ups, constantly delete temp files (including the bloodhound virus that constantly spams my machine and takes up all my space, which I have to keep going into safe mode to delete), have run disk defrags, deleted shadow copies, etc. I have tried a lot of your run of the mill disk-space techniques.

I still have a huge problem. Right now I only have 5.22 GB, and that number will go up and down seemingly at random. I have yet to fix the problem, and I suspect there could be a virus or some kind of malicious spyware on my computer duplicating itself and eating space, which would explain the daily torrent of Bloodhound Exploits that eat my already-small disk space alive.

My computer used to have 30% space free, which is about right considering that I use a lot of disk space but not THAT much. Right now I have 5.22 GB, and the problem started a few months ago out of the blue. At one point a few weeks ago I had 20 GB, then it randomly seemed to drop. I've been at around 5-7.

I fear I might have to re-format the whole machine, but if I can avoid it that would be great.

I have no clue what to do. Any advice or help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks so much.

2. 2centsworth

2centsworth MDL Senior Member

Feb 12, 2008
    Turn off system restore. Depending on the number of setpoints, you can regain a lot of space.

3. shakeyplace

shakeyplace MDL Addicted

May 5, 2007