Make HP XP Home ISO/Disc?

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by LoneIgadzra, May 7, 2010.

1. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
    #1 LoneIgadzra, May 7, 2010
    Last edited: May 7, 2010
    Hey, this forum seems to have a lot of info on this topic, but no actual stickies explaining things for those of us who are clueless. Basically my problem is I need to format an old HP desktop that shipped with XP Home, and I don't have access to the original system discs. Of course HP wants to charge like $20 for a replacement (and more for the tech support call if you're not careful) so I figure if it's possible to circumvent this using a non-HP XP Home disk, I'm all for it.

So after browsing around this forum, I was able to use a program called OEMBIOS.exe on the computer in question to see some CRC numbers or something, and then I went and downloaded some OEMBIOS files from one of the sticky topics here that matched the "hp & compaq" entry (in the oembios.exe output). Apparently these should go in the "i386" directory of my new image. So far so good.

However, from reading around it isn't totally clear but I suspect there is more to it than this (also, all the instructions are for XP Pro, which isn't an option here), so can anyone tell me what I need to do?

Also, I have the following XP Home SP3 discs available to modify:

Retail XP Home SP3
    Dell XP Home SP3 OEM

Which would be the better starting point?

Thanks for any info.

2. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I would use the dell xp cd just delete the $OEM$ folder and change the serial number in the winnt.sif file in i386 folder.

3. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
    In addition to using the new OEMBIOS files?

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #4 NICK@NUMBER11, May 7, 2010
    Copy this data and create 2 files, it will collect all the files u need then copy intoyour dvd and you are off!

getfiles.bat

CODE
    attrib -s %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
    makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
    attrib +s %SystemRoot%\system32\CatRoot\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\OEMBIOS.CAT
    makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.BIN
    makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.DAT
    makecab %SystemRoot%\system32\OEMBIOS.SIG
    cscript //nologo getkey.vbs > winnt.sif

getkey.vbs

CODE
    Dim objFS, objShell
    Dim strXPKey

Set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

strXPKey = objShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProductName")
    If Len(strXPKey) > 0 Then
    WScript.Echo "[UserData]"
    WScript.Echo "ProductKey=" & chr(34) & GetKey(objShell.RegRead("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId")) & chr(34)
    WScript.Echo "[Data]"
    WScript.Echo "MSDosInitiated=0"
    WScript.Echo "UnattendedInstall=Yes"
    End If

Function GetKey(rpk)
    Const rpkOffset=52:i=28
    szPossibleChars="BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
    Do
    dwAccumulator=0 : j=14
    Do
    dwAccumulator=dwAccumulator*256
    dwAccumulator=rpk(j+rpkOffset)+dwAccumulator
    rpk(j+rpkOffset)=(dwAccumulator\24) and 255
    dwAccumulator=dwAccumulator Mod 24
    j=j-1
    Loop While j>=0
    i=i-1 : szProductKey=mid(szPossibleChars,dwAccumulator+1,1)&szProductKey
    if (((29-i) Mod 6)=0) and (i<>-1) then
    i=i-1 : szProductKey="-"&szProductKey
    End If
    Loop While i>=0
    GetKey=szProductKey
    End Function

Getfiles.bat will generate 5 files to be placed in the i386 directory of your CD. the files are:
    OEMBIOS.BI_
    OEMBIOS.CA_
    OEMBIOS.DA_
    OEMBIOS.SI_
    winnt.sif

5. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
    Um, I wasn't really worried about that part. I figured there must be a half-dozen free ways to make an ISO, and then the burning is no big deal.

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    yeah i found that using cdimage was the best for me, just update the bat code to match your dir and i would use the dell oem dvd not the retail one. hope that helps?

7. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
    Yeah, but I'm still not clear on the bulleted list of what, exactly, needs to happen for the disc to work. You guys are very terse and vague. :)

8. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    #9 NICK@NUMBER11, May 7, 2010
    Ok, let me try and help.

1. Copy your DVD to a new Dir lets call it C:\Dell
    2. Create the getfiles. bat and the Getkey.vbs and run these on your pc
    3. once you have the files you can copy these into the c:\Dell\i386 folder
    4. Download cdimage and then unzip into a new folder say called c:\tools
    5. copy the last batch and make the changes to match your 2 folders in 3 & 4
    6. save it in your Tools dir and run - output will be iso. then just burn to dvd

9. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
    #10 LoneIgadzra, May 7, 2010
    (OP)
    Okay, thanks, if your scripts do everything necessary then I am probably good. The main problem is I know nothing about the architecture of Windows or how its licensing works, or if all these dell-specific files in my starting image will be a problem. I can run a script and make an image and stuff. Edit: that is, if the old installation will boot any more! the whole reason I'm formatting in the first place...

10. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
  12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #13 urie, May 11, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    To start with you can't use the serial number grabbed from your machine with xp pro disk your serial number is for HP home edition so that wouldn't work.
    Also you used retail xp home that won't work either without editing the SETUPP.INI in i386 folder it is for retail so change it to OEM one replace with code below.

Code:
    [Pid]
    ExtraData=786F687170637175716954806365EF
    Pid=76487OEM

13. LoneIgadzra

LoneIgadzra MDL Novice

May 6, 2010
    That's what I thought, but a couple of posts in this thread seemed to indicate that it didn't matter, so I figured I'd try it.

Also, thanks for answering the question I originally asked in the OP that it's been like pulling teeth to get clarified. :p

14. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    for what it's worth, if anyone else searches this thread; I tried to make an HP [desktop] oem cd. Followed most of the advice already listed, but the problem is the files you copy to the i386 folder, replacing those that already exist, will result in an xp pro cd. Even if you edit the setupp.ini to <76477OEM> . There must be something else in one of the other files that causes the installation to revert to xp pro.
    I tried a similar thing for an IBM disc and the same result occurred.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That is not possible you must have had an XP pro cd to start with the OEMBIOS files are the same for Pro an Home.

16. EneergE

EneergE MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    #17 EneergE, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    I, too, am trying to make an XP Home SP3 OEM disc. I have the Home RTM iso and the Dell OEMBIOS files. I've tried changing the [Pid] to the values listed above, and it claims that the Product Key is invalid. <edit: due to pidgin.dll>
    Should the PID be something different for HOME? I tried entering a Dell Pro key and it starts installing. I think I can find a dell pid from some old cds. I'll try that and report back.

EDIT:

I replaced the pidgen.dll with the one on my Home OEM disc so the keys would validate, and then I changed SETUPP.INI to:

My Dell Home pidgen.dll (34b2a6b36c60d3d3bb909b999ae66f88) is different from my Dell Pro pidgen.dll (bc5726a119118d9ac12e2ada25e01b3c).
    With these changes, I can successfully install. However, I am also getting a "PRO" install, rather than a Home install.

I'm using an RTM Home disc (checksum verified) and OEMBIOS files with my pidgen dll. I'm going to check the DPC.DL_, NT5INF.ca_, and SETUPREG.HIV and see if that's the reason it says PRO.

17. EneergE

EneergE MDL Novice

Dec 13, 2009
    #18 EneergE, Aug 6, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
    I took the DPCDLL.DL_, NT5INF.ca_, and the SETUPREG.HIV from my OEM Home disc and overwrote the ones that was in the original image. Windows now reports that it is a Home install. :)

The files that are included with the OEMBIOS files, were for pro only. So you need to grab/keep these from the Home disc, otherwise it will report a "PRO" install.

18. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Your whole problem here is the only files you should have copied over were, OEMBIOS.BI_ ,OEMBIOS.CA_ ,OEMBIOS.DA_ and OEMBIOS.SI_ files.