Make Windows 7 ESD and put it into W10 ISO?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Rr0, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Hello!
    Is it possible to put Windows 7 WIM, preferably compressed to ESD to minimize size, and put it into Windows 10 ISO to take advantage of f.i. USB 3.0 support?
    Or maybe is there somewhere all ready to download this kind of mod?

Many thanks in advance!!

2. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    I think I've read somewhere in this forum that .ESD doesn't work with Windows 7. As for putting Win7's install.wim inside the sources folder of a Win 10 distribution, the answer is yes, you can do that, just make sure that the language of your Win 7 install.wim matches perfectly with the language of the Win 10 distribution files.

Example:

Windows 7 Spanish with Windows 10 Mexican Spanish = WRONG

Windows 7 Spanish with Windows 10 Spanish = RIGHT

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    For usb 3 support it will be sufficient to integrate the usb 3 drivers into the boot.wim.
    @kaljukass, read the info provided by your link:
    Code:
    Nota : Using ESD Conversion or "Use Better WIM Compression" option for Windows 7  ISO will result in a non functional installation
    The conversion will be the least problem, it's just 1 commandline:
    Code:
    dism /Export-Image /SourceImageFile:"x:\install.wim" /SourceIndex:1 /DestinationImageFile:"y:\install.esd" /Compress:recovery /checkintegrity

5. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    #6 Rr0, Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2017
    (OP)
    //sorry

6. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    So I just convert based on your command, and replace W10 esd with W7's? No need to wiggle with ei.cfg or something?

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    There is no need for sharing the homebrew esd file.

Just put it in a 8.1 iso and use an ei.cfg

8. Rr0

Rr0 MDL Member

Jul 8, 2017
    Sorry, didn't know that.

Does it have to be 8.1 not 10?
    And last I hope - what to put in ei.cfg to have all editions available?
    I checked in that home brewed and it's just:
    Code:
    [Channel]
    Retail

[VL]

9. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Give me a few minutes ;)

10. fgaifen

fgaifen MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    If you need to repair windows by reinstallation wont work. That is main reason why I don't use esd for windows 7.

11. The Freeman

The Freeman MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    Hello Everyone!
    I noticed this thread is quite old but I'll take my chances and I'll ask.
    I'm browsing this forum searching for a solution on how to install W7 on my 8th gen Intel laptop.
    Here looks like it was found a possible solution but my poor knowledge in this field is stopping me in assembling the puzzle pieces to form the big picture.
    Did you manage to build the W7 iso ?
    Would I ask too much from you to explain here how you did it? Maybe a small tutorial ?
    I'm sure that there are plenty of people out there are looking for a solution on how to install Windows 7 on their too modern machines...

12. erpsterm35

erpsterm35 MDL Expert

May 27, 2013
  13. The Freeman

The Freeman MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    I have a laptop Clevo Optimus Series without optical drive:
    - Intel i5 Quad Core Processor 8300H (2.3GHz, 4.0GHz Turbo)
    - Intel UHD graphics 630 / Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    The BIOS does not have the CSM option.
    I made a W7 Rufus bootable stick. After booting from it, immediately the installation freezes when it shows the W7 logo for the first time.

14. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    This won't work. Without CSM-option they removed probably some or all legacy-modules, especially the vga-module from BIOS, which is mandatory for starting Windows 7. As a workaround it is possible to suppress/removing the vga-driver, but after this mod, you can't use any repair- or recovery-functions of Windows.

In my opinion, you should better use Windows 10 or Linux. If you only need Windows 7 for activating 10 via digital license, you can also use KMS-tool or activation script.

15. The Freeman

The Freeman MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    I would love to suppress or remove the vga driver if this is the only obstacle in installing W7! Unfortunately I didn't find a tutorial yet.
    I never used the repair nor the recovery functions and probably many of the people out there didn't also.
    Linux is out of the question. I use W10 now because I can't install W7.
    I hate W10. It is a software not even in a beta stage but more in alfa.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    The limitations of win 7 are becoming annoying to many users, win 10 is pretty stable and supports all new features and hardware just fine.

17. The Freeman

The Freeman MDL Novice

Dec 7, 2018
    Imposing limitations to people usually can feed their inner will to succeed.
    Hopefully someday someone will come up with a solution for those who prefer having W7 on their i8 and i9 machines and not the garbage called W10.
    And that person will be the hero of the day!

18. Lutschpuppe

Lutschpuppe MDL Member

Dec 23, 2014
    You should read this topic, which describes how to disable vga-driver: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/tip-windows-7-uefi-install-without-csm.79551/

Keep in mind, that you will need Windows 7-drivers for all hardware-components. Some companys don't develop drivers for 7, because it is EOL. On desktop machines it is much easier than notebooks, where most parts arent changeable.

Another option: Clevo is producing barebones, perhaps BIOS contains still legacy-bios-modules (or dummy-modules for it) which aren't visible/not configurable in menu. In this case a bios-mod could bring back the needed modules for easier installation.