Making A Recovery Partition With Windows 7 Plus Recovery Disc(Advice)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TECHNOMAN, Feb 9, 2010.

1. TECHNOMAN

TECHNOMAN MDL Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Hi All,
    As Most System Builders Like Dell,HP,Acer,Toshiba,Plus Many More Create A Recovery Partition That I Guess Includes A Image Of Windows 7 Plus All Applications & Drivers That Was Pre-Installed At The Factory

My Question Is If You Build Your Own Pc And Install Windows 7 That You Brought Or Got Via This Site Plus Activations Tools To Make It Activated

Is It Possible Once You`ve Install Windows 7 & Activated It Plus Install You`re Own Applications Done Your Updates Via Windows Updates

To Make Your Own Recovery Partition Of Everything Including Windows 7 Plus Applictions
    Then Make Recovery Disk As You Would If You Brougt A System From Any Of The Above Dell,Hp

Can Someone Explain The Step By Step Guide To Do This Plus Tools Required If Possible Also How To Make The System Boot To Recovery Partition

If It Can Be Done Does It Work Well
    If It Not Possible Any Advice Would Be Helpful

Many Thanks

2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Disk imaging software such as Macrium free edition, ghost, acronis, etc. Ultimate (and pro???) has a native imaging program but I wouldn't use it with a loader.

BTW, I use macrium, even paid for the full version

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    If you have windows 7 ultimate you can use widows backup it will make image to hard drive or dvd's persionally i would use acronis it can make a hidden partition and you can access it from F11 when booting you can also make bootable dvd's with image also but remeber if you have the windows 7 200MB system partition you need to select that also along with you c:\ partition or what partition you have windows installed to.

5. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    An easy way would be to just make an image using windows 7 own builtin feature or use acronise trueimage and create a acronis secure zone:)

6. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    just like acronise trueimage does.. and acronis does it very well.

7. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #9 Daz, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
    The loader should work with most recovery software although the loader settings may need to be changed before loader installation. Personally I would recommend any type of recovery software that creates a partition for the backup but to load into it you need a USB or CD/DVD which contains the boot manager, I know Acronis can do just this.

If you install software that replaces the bootmgr then you need to make sure that the loaders advanced settings are used, things such as preserving the boot code (if the loader is being installed after the recovery software) and if bootmgr is on the same partition as the recovery software's boot manager then you want to unselect to ignore OEM partitions otherwise the loader won't be able to access the Windows boot manager in order to boot into Windows. Basic stuff really but not everyone thinks about the options available.

8. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Daz , that's what happened with me!
    I installed an image with acronis (I used your loader before ) and I couldn't start up anymore! Only cursor blinking after text! The only way to get to win 7 is using your recovery CD!
    one advantage , it starts much faste then before!

But what do you think happened?

9. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    It depends on how its setup really. I know from my own personal usage that if you install the loader with the preserve boot code option, unselect ignore OEM partitions and then install Acronis it should work but the easiest method is to create a partition yourself and have Acronis write the backup image to this partition and then build a boot CD/DVD which is what you use to restore your OS if you need to, plus via this method you can time when the system creates new backups automaticlly if you want it to.

10. zaiko

zaiko MDL Member

Jan 1, 2010
    What I did was to create an image only from the C partition and put it on another partition ! Then used the acronis boot CD to reinstall that image to my C partition. It always worked fine but with the loader on the C partition something went wrong .
    I installed paragon hard disk manager prof and rebuild MBR. So I restarted and with the bootmanager it worked!
    But then my win7 became not genuine! So I installed Daz loader 1.9 and rebooted and the same thing happened. No way I could start up, I tried everything from repository manual ! Even with Daz recovery CD, I tried every option only errors but no way to start up!
    So I had to install image with acronis again (without MBR) and now I can only start up with DAZ Cd again!

11. SuperWoman09

SuperWoman09 MDL Novice

Aug 13, 2010
    #13 SuperWoman09, Aug 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2010
    YAY I DID IT! *hits easy button* Thanks.

12. dbc1965

dbc1965 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Daz
    first of all dude you rock honor to be a new member here on MDL . Well problem is my had drive is so srewed up with corrupt files. Msi method you speak about would i have to ISO FILE make it bootable I'm almost sure my harddrive needs told replacement with file nt 60 everything lol. I have a dell c840 with bios slice 2.1 trying to fix this problem for days i have no os installed now.

Dave

chg area

13. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    My 2 cents worth

I use Acronis.

I install a basic 7 - although lately I've been downloading an updated DVD with updates slipstreamed and disable activation stuff - but I've tended to BIE's Enterprise with updates release lately and it is testing really well in VMs - anyway I digress - after 7 installed I create a Windows backup.

I then install Acronis and make the secure zone. I test the backup by adding it to the boot list in Acronis.

When all OK I create new backup to secure zone by converting. I then activate Acronis startup function, install Diskdirector 11 and then OSSelector and have a boot manager with pretty GUI for booting multiple OSs including TrueImage at boot time for recovery.

Then as time goes by I use incremental backups to make sure I am nearly always up to date for disaster recovery. Using TrueImage to restore from Harddisk images blows the competition out of the water for speed and convenience plus your backups are as up to date as you are.

14. Daz

Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #16 Daz, Aug 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @ dbc1965
    Your hard drive is having issues due to corrupt files? If you had an OS installed I would suggest you use the following (issued from command prompt as an administrator):
    Code:
    sfc /scannow
    chkdsk c: /r
    Press Y

15. dbc1965

dbc1965 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    Daz all start with missing nldr then not able to read harddrive from there all down hill after installed 7 it's like i need all bcd boot file partition i think it show 16 fat. boot code seem to missing also. i don't know how this happen i was running 7 everything was fine next thing i know errors cameup then boot error ndlr errors it's crazy. my laptop has been down for over a week.

16. dbc1965

dbc1965 MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2010
    yes i think your right partition problem i ran easybcd win 7 startup dsk said my partition has errors. how do you fix partition at this point ? when trying to load win 7 it also says invaild system partition. Least i know my harddrive is saveble.

17. kubato

kubato MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    There are two methods, In easyBCD press the BCD backup/repair button on left. Once done, the top right side has a Re-create/repair boot file, select that and press perform Action. That should put your boot files back in.
    Or boot with windows 7 dvd and select Startup Repair. I use EasyBCD because it has more options but, you can try this if other does not work.
    Here is the full fix if EasyBCD does not work...
    Boot your Windows 7 install dvd. Select "Repair my computer" and "Open a command prompt".

In the resulting Windows PE command prompt, you can use bootsect.exe to repair any of these problems. Type bootsect help to get the help screen. To restore a Vista or Windows 7 drive, type bootsect /nt60 c: /mbr /force, assuming c: is the boot volume.