Making miniwindows with PE

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Stannieman, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Hi,
    I downloaded the WAIK and would like to make a custom WinPE 3.0 image.
    Now I wonder if it's possible to run explorer on it.
    I already tried copying explorer.exe to the windows directory in the pe image, and I copied a whole bunch of dll's and .mui files to the right directory (all the dll's from wich the filename is visible as a string when I open explorer.exe in a hexeditor). WinPE boots fine, but when I start explorer from the commandline nothing happens, no error message or so, just nothing.
    I also tried the same with wordpad, but just the same problem there.

And if explorer is possible, maybe I can do the same with win installer and .net, then put some handy tools on it and it should be a bit like a live widows cd.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    yeah, but that's winpe 1, wasn't that based on xp? I want pe3.0 and that's based on windows 7, and has the .wim file where the actual pe os is in, just like the vista/7 installer. Doesn't pe1 have an xp like cd, so a i386 folder on it etc?
    I can't even find a guide for pe2.0...
    But explorer runs on real windows, and winpe has the same kernel, so technically it must be possible, probably with hacking a lot of files...

But I still don't understand why the exes of explorer and wordpad don't even try to start while pe does support win32 apps.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Why don't you use bsexplorer or something like that ? That surely works in WinPE3

4. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Hm, it's not the real thing, bu I'll have a look at it, thanks.
    Do you maybe know why also wordpad won't start?

5. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    #6 sebus, Dec 11, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  6. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    @ ozzyboy: all those files on that page are for vistaPE = winpe 2.x, win7pe = winpe 3.0 so I don't know it will work.

And I've found a guide somewhere to get explorer running without winbuilder, you have to copy lot's of files from the system32 dir (much more than I tried) and the entire en-us or other language dir, Then I shoulc run.

But I've also found a programm called "Xenocode Postbuild" wich can convert .net executables so they can run without the .net framework. Maybe I can make a simple custom shell with that... I'm going to try it and we'll see:)

7. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    #10 Stannieman, Dec 16, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
    (OP)
  8. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Sorry, I tried and tried and tried far a 100 times but it won't work.
    I copied all the files manually that the winbuilder script does automatically, and I added all the regkeys to winpe's registry, but explorer doesn't start, even when I type explorer.exe or X:\Windows\Explorer.exe in cmd it doesn't work.

Maybe winbuilder does some other magic with winpe, but I can't get it to work this way.