making vmware portable

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by RanCorX2, Apr 6, 2014.

1. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    would it be ok to post how to make vmware portable? i've just this morning managed to pull it off.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AS there quite some users of VM Ware, they may would like an portable version. And I don't think there would be any problems with posting the procedure How Top......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    i'd just like an ok from a mod, in case it's considered warez talk seeing as it's a commercial app and not open source. as it's not allowed on the portableapps site.

there was talk about it but no one bothered to explore it further as they said it requires too many other components to work as a portable app.

i've done it so everything is together in one folder with all components, sub folders, the catch is you still need to install the required drivers, but they all run from the installation folder.

will post complete info as soon as a mod says yes.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as you didn't give the SN and/or Activation data, why it should be a problem? Those application is free to download from VMWare and start as Trial.

If you "just" post a How To....., there isn't any breach of Forum Rules, Copyright or whatsoever. That would be the case if you also would give the Activation Data away!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    ok, fair point.

6. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    spoke to soon, stopped working....will see if i can find the prob, don't bother trying to do it until i can find out if it really works. when i uninstalled it was working, but after a reboot it didn't work, so it must of removed something.

otherwise you might be wasting your time like me lol...

7. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    bummer, didn't get anywhere, something seems to break it, and you just get an internal error msg when you try and start a virtual machine, all the drivers & services are installed and active.

just have to stick to installing it.