Making Windows Start Faster

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by dragonfire665, Nov 25, 2008.

1. dragonfire665

dragonfire665 MDL Senior Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Ok, here is my question, how can i make windows XP SP2 start faster? i kno this question has being asked many times and i mean many times, but for some reason the answers and all cant seem to work with my computer so hopefully one person can help me determine my situation. My windows will take about 2min 30sec and some other time it has taken about 3mins and plus to start up (n yes i kno many are going to say that is not bad) but what makes it bad is the fact that i have Intel Q6700 2.67Ghz unOC with 2GB PC6400 800Mhz Ram Sli Ready on a EVGA 780i MOBO and while my friend has a Intel Pentium D 2.4Ghz it will start faster than mine.

I know my computer when shutting down it will take no more than 7sec from the time i ask it to shut down until it does (i timed it) But when it starts it takes too long for what i expected, especially for what i have seen people only with time to start up

When i start up my computer will automically start up this several programs
    1. CA Internet Security 2008 Suite (antivirus, personal firewall, antispam, web checker, Anti-Spyware, Anti-Phishing)
    2. AIM
    3. SpeedFan
    4.Nvidia GPU OC Program (precision)

thats all i have starting up with the computer, here is the thing, once my computer while loading it gets to the Blue Welcome Screen, it will stay there for a while then it will go to my normal desktop screen, atleast once it gets there i can click at anythin and it will load immediately, cuz by the that everythin has bein pretty much loaded.

Is there somethin else i can do?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    You can use solid state drive.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #3 HMonk, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    What others experience

One key observation you made was the experience of others and how many times this question has been asked/answered. You will also notice that many times one user will find that a fix or tweak that solved an issue did not work for them although they seemingly have similar configs.

In this situation, all you can do is try what others have tried and see what happens. There are so many variables that it is impossible to answer the question for you. One question I have is what's the rush?

My machine runs a 2.4 ghz AMD 64 and 2 GB RAM. Judging by your requirements, you'd laugh at how long it takes for my machine to fully boot and shut down.

In my experience - this is just me - what slows me down are startup progs, drivers (especially NVIDIA video drivers), number and types of devices, RAID controllers, and antimalware and antivirus progs (that scan when first initialized).

Finally, as you probably already have experienced, MS service packs can dramatically effect overall operation. I noticed you do not have XP SP3. Problems with it?

I hope you do not regard my response as dismissing your complaint but compared to my config, you are doing well, especially your shut down time.

BTW, my solution to my startup sluggishness first thing in the AM: turn on the machine, go make a pot of coffee, check the mail, and by the time I get back to the machine it's good to go.

If you find something that works that others have not applied, please let us know.

Monik

4. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    those are so far good points, i do think my peripherals, maybe my drivers especially from Nvidia since i have a 260GTX maybe slowing down my start time, also maybe my many starting up programs as you have said anti malware, anti spy, anti virus (sorry but i spend lots of money building this computer so like the many other i builded i want nothin wron with them, specially done by some ass**** who has no life) maybe my hard drive my be the case to the slow loadin, knowin how much it takes to read of any hard drive, not including the 10K or 15K drive, but there is really no rush, is just the fact that i dont understand y it takes so long to load when my friends as i said has a dell and is slower than mine but it starts faster.

However one thing i forget to note and i just noticed at his computer, he has no antivirus or program loading up, which might be the reason. But what can i do or check to see if there is somethin i specific that is slowing down my start up?

BTW i dont drink coffee sorry but i will drink OJ to kill time

5. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  6. kvic

kvic MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    go to your registry backit up and try this my system boots in under 7 sec's using this.

Start -> Run -> Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session
    Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters

EnablePrefetcher -> 1

Set EnablePrefetcher to 1

i have to use this because for some reason after i installed sp3 (i know you have sp2 )my system took close to 2 minutes to boot now like i said it's under 7's just back up your registry or atleast back up that key.

7. raj_cha

raj_cha MDL Novice

Jan 13, 2009
    Comparisions dont work

Here's hoe I get it:

If ur OS was fast enough with a fresh XP install, then its the Antivirus pack u have thats being the problem. (I never seen so much security needed. Do u work in a BANK?)

Otherwise, if it was the same (around 1 min) on fresh install, its the Hardware/drivers. To my experience you will get best results only from a combination of "Fast HDD - Fast Bus for CPU&RAM" . Graphics card - I dont know, but without it is what i meant above.

I have a AMD Athlon 1.1Ghz 6yrs OLD machine. I never like it start up more than 30sec (I change to below always). I felt a change once i changed the RAM and HDD. The time it took for me to get a virus is about 100time more i used the system with an antivirus.

For a shocking example, i saw a P3 laptop with 4Gb HDD startup faster than mine when both had fresh XP installs. what would u say about that!

8. dragonfire665

Sep 17, 2008
    lol, sorry bro that was funny, and no i dont work on a bank, but reason for the many installments was a deal from the CD and i decided, heck if i paid for it why not use them all, but i am coming to realize that yes, they are all kinda draggin my startup wit my OS and i am comin to realize that it is part of the CA Internet Security and reason i say for that is cuz again if i have no CA install my start up will go straigh from my Welcome Blue Screen to my deskptop, but with CA it will take some time at the Welcome Blue Screen of XP until it gets to desktop.

I appreciate everyone here helps, you guys are the best and im very happy once i get some results i will let everyone know

9. darksx

darksx MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2009
    perhaps you could try partitioning your hdd and leave aside 20gig for your OS and the rest for your personal stuffs. try using a separate "My Documents" in your secondary drive instead of shifting the current one over and install your third party programs there. and avoid leaving too much files on your desktop.

apart from all that, the security suite is indeed eating up a lot of time. you can try eset which boast to use the least amount of memory. :)

you can disable hibernation to save some space too. and with your current RAM, you can disable pagefile too of just set it to about 1gig or lesser.

:)

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #12 urie, Jan 31, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  11. azrul

azrul MDL Junior Member

Feb 2, 2009
    its the AV.

i own a 3gb ram aspire,quiet fast start up.
    my original av is avira,then i change to norton av.startup is still fast.after i add kaspersky and avg then only i realize its getting slower.not sure it is because the quantity or the quality.if it is quality,which one?

12. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Kaspersky Slow Down

Kaspersky is known to slow down a system primarily because of its aggressive background scanning engine, and, therefore, high RAM use and, to a lesser degree, conflicts with other AV/antimalware progs (the latter is more apt to cause freezes). One thing you can try, if you have not done so, is to reset the scanning engine to "low priority."

If you want to limit its RAM use, open Windows Task Manager>PROCESSES>then right-click kaspersky.exe>click on SET PRIORITY>and then select "below normal" or "low" to reduce its memory use priority.

Or switch to the free Comodo Internet Security :D

Monk