Malwarebuyes question

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by marchy, Sep 10, 2017.

1. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    does anyone know how to prevent mbam from checking for a newer version? I am still on version 2 and dont want to update to version 3.

thx

2. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Welcome to the club. They ask us THREE TIMES every time we use it.... I find that behaviour so disgusting that I make it a point of using it and NEVER signing up to a paid version.

3. °ツ

°ツ MDL Addicted

Jun 8, 2014
    What's wrong with v. 3?

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    My question would be whether it's clever to use outdated software for security purposes :g:?

You can try the malware tool from zemana :thinking:.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    You might want to spend a little more time thinking about that....

Why would the last version of Mbam not find any unwanted on your computer, that a later model might? What do you think is it, that such new updated AV software does, which differs from the olders version and serves YOU? What is new is what serves THEM, just read the log. What needs to be up to date is the malware data, which has always been the same action.

Unless you are a fool yourself and do stupid things f.e. with mail attachments, or, if your computer has a weird set-up, the only danger there is, comes from zero day exploits. And there is nothing, no update, not the most expensive software money can buy, that will protect you against those.....

"My question would be whether it's clever to use outdated software for security purposes?" Your question should first of all be, is that a clever question?
    My question is, why use any at all? What do you know about these companies? Are you aware that it is in the nature of their software that it has access to EVERY LAST LITTLE BIT on your computer? Not that I trust them further than Kasperski, but f.e. the americans have just banned that russian AV software.

If you have a virus on your computer, that is not zero day, you did something stupid! The last virus I found, was because of exactly that reason! And that happened 9 years ago! So, running the free MBam once a week, and NO live protection is sufficient.

Unless of course have special reasons for more....

6. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Only thing unclear to me is why you always act angry towards the users you quote (lang barrier related)?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  8. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Indeed Zemana or Emsisoft will do and he can get rid of that sucker. Additionally Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool and Hitman Pro.

9. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    In many ways, a Computer is similar to an Automobile. If you don't pay attention for one second, accidents can happen.
    Also, don't forget to check the fluids, check and kick the tires, etc.

Although in defense of car drivers, you don't have people sabotaging the road.

I have Malwarebytes free v2.2.1.1043. If you want up to date protection, you have to update their database. Oddly enough, it has never asked me to update the program itself.

I've used Zemana, and it's important to realize that it is a 14 day trial. I've also used Hitman Pro.

They're both good products (as far as I can tell.) and they do what they're meant to do.

(MJ patiently waits for JFKI to pop in and say something about the Middle east and IEDS. :D )