Malwarebytes is giving pirates a chance to turn into legit users for free

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by timster, Jun 29, 2015.

1. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
  2. ismethere

ismethere MDL Senior Member

Apr 7, 2014
    #2 ismethere, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Well done Malwarebytes Corporation! :cool:

4. ppu

ppu MDL Junior Member

Apr 10, 2015
    #4 ppu, Jun 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
    Now MB started to pin down the users in this way. Thanks got my new LifeTime license.

Thanks

5. fockoff

fockoff MDL Junior Member

Jan 5, 2015
    That's a new way to deter piracy, I suppose...

6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Or encourage it !

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. software182

software182 MDL Junior Member

Nov 8, 2012
    this is not good for genuine user :p

8. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
  9. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
  10. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    #10 sid_16, Jun 30, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Its a shame to get a genuine license of MBAM Pro through that process, rather it would be better to use their free version as an on demand scanner than getting a genuine lifetime license through the key generated (process).
    I don't know why do posters show the loophole to others.:D

11. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    I have two possible explanations:

1) Malwarebytes is planning a little surprise for the "loophole lifetimers".

2) They just got sloppy with their testing. (Which doesn't make much sense. Their products work so well, how could they miss this)?

12. oliverjia

oliverjia MDL Addicted

Mar 1, 2008
    even though I COULD get a genuine licence without spending a single cent, I restrained from doing so. I don't care about the extra features; the free version is good enough for me.

13. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    they are following MS's traditional thought. The more people who get it in their hands the better the chances of getting legit users. When that fails give it away and hope for the best (grab your ankles boys, we going for a ride!)

14. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    #15 Dark Knight, Jul 2, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    The problem is their licensing structure .....

Malwarebytes Antimalware - $25 per year

Malwarebytes Anti Exploit - $25 per year

So essentially if you want to cover your bases it'll cost you $50 a year on top of what you pay for antivirus (if you pay for it) so realistically it could cost well over $100 a year to keep your system safe, quote unquote, realizing that you CAN still get infected by something because nothing catches everything. On top of that they don't even give you a break in price if you order both as a package deal.

Now I don't know about others here but a "per year" license for this kind of software in my mind is absurd, I don't care if it's for one, three or twenty pc's. You can get comparable software from other companies for cheaper with lifetime licenses.

Another thing I don't get, they give all the pirated licenses for antimalware free licenses but yet they put out an update this morning for Anti Exploit which included a fix to combat pirated licenses which essentially means anyone with a pirated copy that downloaded this new version would no longer work as the pro version, a google search a few hours later after the release revealed all brand new new pirated keys already, so what did they accomplish? ...... not a damn thing.

I don't know, I got the lifetime license for Malwarebytes Pro back years ago when it was available, I would never pay a yearly subscription for it. As for Anti Exploit, one can use the free version which isn't worth the time it took to write the code, to have the proper protection you HAVE to have the pro version or you can purchase a comparable software such as Crypto Prevent for $15 that comes with a lifetime license.

Yearly subscriptions do not work with a lot of software, Sandboxie tried it and guess what? they are back to lifetime licenses.
    Winpatrol was toying with the idea of a yearly subscription but when it's users told the new owner they would not stand for it and they would dump the software, guess what? the lifetime license structure stood.
    Spybot which not is not only antimalware but now antivirus too only costs $13 a year but the free basic spybot search and destroy antimalware is just that, free and unrestricted for personal use.

Don't get me wrong, it's good software and it works but if you want to combat the evils of the internet then you need to be part of the solution and not part of the problem by dangling a carrot in front of users faces. It's like the 911 service telling you , we'll stop those thieves trying to break into your home but you need to pay us before we show up.

I've been using malwarebytes since it's infancy first the free version then the pro, but just like every good thing on the internet it goes to the owners head, they get greedy and figure they can string their users on, well to me that's worse than some of the nasty's on the web.

I know you cannot 100% eradicate piracy, but if your licensing structure is fair you can certainly minimize it because when people feel they are being stolen from or preyed up they will steal from you. I fully support the notion that if you like the software then buy it but I do not support some software company getting rich off the fears of others which essentially is what a yearly subscription is, then they can tell you that if you don't continue your subscription you CAN use the free version BUUUUT ..... then you won't have the full protection. Scare tactics is all it is.

15. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Personally, I'd -never- do something like this.:eek: If you like the product, then just buy it.
    What functionality is in the paid version that you'd need to steal it? o_O

I wouldn't mind having one of those Tee-shirts. And I wouldn't mind giving them some free advertising.
    Malwarebytes is a good product.

:MJ

16. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    I agree with Michaela, what functionality and benefit does the paid version have that the free version lacks so that we would like to steal it? We can use it as an on demand scanner to remove malware. Do we need the real time protection that is covered by our antivirus program? Certainly not, then why do we run after the pro version which makes conflict with other security software when run with the regular AV in the system. IMO we should use the free version or buy the pro if you really need it!

17. Dark Knight

Dark Knight MDL Senior Member

Jul 14, 2013
    What IS in malwarebytes pro that one would want in the free version but is not is the real time protection, which stops malware from reaching your system before wreaking havoc. If using the free version the malware actually makes it onto your system which in turn makes it harder to eradicate then 90% of the time malwarebytes alone cannot remove by itself, one then must turn to specialized tools for removal.

18. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    The places I've been - The things I've seen: I need that real time protection! Think of it as wearing a condom 7/24.