Manage activation of multiple PCs?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by WaRFiElD328i, Nov 29, 2012.

1. WaRFiElD328i

WaRFiElD328i MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    Part of my job is to prepare new laptops for end users that comes from OEMs. Since the included windows installation on most laptops is loaded with "bloatwares" we used to deploy a fresh Win7 Image in WDS and activate using OEM slic which made them completely legal. That was in the Windows 7 days.

Now I'm trying to do about the same thing with Windows 8 however since there is no SLIC it gets a little bit trickier.
    Here is what we are doing right now:
    -pull the hard drive from the laptop
    -make a backup of 'Store' folder
    -Reinstall hard drive, deploy Image or Clone from same model.
    -pull the hard drive again
    -overwrite content of Store folder with the old one
    -Change folder permissions
    -put the hard disk back in the laptop, let it boot.
    -Windows complain about an activation error, reboot or CMD>slmgr -dli.
    -activated again.

Do you guys have any idea to speed up the process?
    The hardest part in fact is to take note of which Store folder goes with which laptop.

2. nodnar

nodnar MDL Expert

Oct 15, 2011
    wow, what a pain in the neck!
    my sympathies.. if the lappies are identical,
    i would be tempted to clean a single
    bloatware lappy manually,takes some time,
    okay..
    boot all the others from usb or cd,
    make a ramdrive at boot and copy store
    folder to it..then delete the entire cdrive,
    copy the cleaned cdrive from the cleaned
    lappy to the cdrive, and the store folder
    from the ramdrive..so each lappy gets its
    own store folder back.
    saves unplugging umpteen harddisks... you
    could probably do it from a script, in the
    good old dos days, config.sys and autoexec.bat
    could have done the trick..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WaRFiElD328i

WaRFiElD328i MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    #4 WaRFiElD328i, Nov 29, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
    (OP)
    You make a good point, Yes I'm pulling the store folder before actually booting the laptop because I do not want to go through all the EULA stuff to save some time, however this is probably the reason why it's complaining when I first boot it after copying back the store folder (let alone some folder permissions issues)
    It does gets activated after a while though, probably because it contacts MS Server in the background, I haven't checked network traffic.

If I only pull the product key from the ACPI table and re-enter it after imaging would it activate successfully? (I assume yes?)

This key can be pulled even if I did not make a backup of it since it's stored in the BIOS anyway?

5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Yes it's stored inside the UEFI (W8 devices don't come with BIOS :p) so you can just read the Product Key from the ACPI MSDM Table and enter it over slmgr -ipk or the Windows Interface and done.

So yeah if you never boot it you can straight skip all the "store" backup stuff, as it's not activated anyway ^^

6. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    I often have to work on notebooks and am unfamiliar with this "store" folder for Win8. Most of my work has been upgrading from Win7 Home Prem to Pro.
    What exactly is in the Store folder?? Where is it located? Permissions??

7. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010