Manually partition & install native Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Edition?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by TinMan, Dec 27, 2015.

1. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #1 TinMan, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    I've been reading http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...nux-Mint-on-UEFI-System-with-Windows-8-8-1-10 but this doesn't apply to what I want to do: install Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon Edition x64 on an empty hdd, i.e. without Windows. I want to manually partition hdd as GPT on UEFI system, with separate / , /swap and /home partitions. Can anyone walk me through the procedure? The installation itself is not a problem, but I need assistance in manual partitioning with gparted, i.e. creating, sizing and mounting efi boot partition. I'll be using a 1 TB hdd, with / partition of about 50 GB, /swap partition of 16 GB and the rest will be used for the /home partition. TIA

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #2 Antilope, Dec 27, 2015
    John Sutherland gives a pretty thorough walk through of how to manually partition a UEFI/GPT hard disk in this thread I have linked below. Just leave out the Windows part. If you have any questions, ask in that thread or here.

Installing Ubuntu/Linux Mint on UEFI System with Windows 8/8.1/10

http://forums.mydigitallife.net/thr...nux-Mint-on-UEFI-System-with-Windows-8-8-1-10

I would just boot with a USB Live Linux Mint and let it install automatically. Then you could go back and modify the partitioning scheme manually.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #3 John Sutherland, Dec 27, 2015
  4. TinMan

TinMan MDL Member

Jul 31, 2009
    #4 TinMan, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thank you, @John Sutherland ! This is exactly what I've been looking for! Your help is very much appreciated. :worthy: Cheers!