Manually Stop Battery from Charging.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by striker, Jun 14, 2009.

1. striker

striker MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
    I have Compaq presario v6604au notebook and i have got a battery issue.

Since i bought this notebook nearly 18 months ago as a desktop replacement
    so it is always plugged in to the power supply and now it has been showing its adverse effects.

My battery life has diminished to nearly 50%:mad: of original.

so my question is, as i have stated above can i manually stop my battery from charging even if its plugged in and charge it whenever i want except from removing my battery because it serves as my UPS.

Thanks in advance.

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. striker

striker MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
    Ya I know that battery stops charging after it has completely charged but the problem with my battery is that it has stuck up at 89% and is not going above as a result battery never stops charging.

That is why i want to know how can i stop battery charging manually at any point when i want.

For ex.Most Lenovo-IBM, Dell and acer notebooks have a their vendor based software to stop battery from charging at any point set by the user(Thinkvantage power manager, Dell control point power mangement, Acer epower management).

I have even tried messing up with the circuit, and i was successfull in resetting battery usage data stored in the battery eeprom and i got it to charge to 100% but that lasted only for about 2 days than once it went below 10% it didn't charge to 100% it is again stuck up at 89%.

So my point is that if i could stop the battery to charge as soon as it reaches 80% i could get nearly another 6 months to buy a new 12 cell battery for my notebook.

Any help would be great:)

4. striker

striker MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2008
    I am actually using Vista.

5. kalzin230

kalzin230 MDL Novice

Nov 4, 2009
    if you want to stop your battery rom charging go into the device manager and look under "batteries" option in Vista one should say "Microsoft AC adapter" the other should say "Microsoft ACPI-compliant control method battery" if you disable the "Microsoft ACPI-Compliant control method battery" int he device manager the battery will stop charging...

NOTE: DO NOT DISABLE the "Microsoft AC adapter" at the same time or you will be unable to start your computer!

6. johnstuff2sellebay

johnstuff2sellebay MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2010
    I have been rying to do the same thing and have not found a program yet if someone does find a program please let me know. Thanks