Many Questions [Some Unrelated]

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by puffyduff, Sep 27, 2016.

1. puffyduff

puffyduff MDL Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Hey there,

I don't have any other forum memberships, it's like you're my only friends :mushy:o_O
    Questions are of many kinds, but I'll ask them here.
    Any one person can't know all of this, just pick and reply to ones you know the answers to.

QUESTION 1-
    I use a VPN client (A good, paid one).
    It has an option not to allow any traffic outside of VPN tunnel.
    It's firewall starts very very early when windows starts and doesn't allow other programs to connect to anything.
    It blocks not only HTTP, HTTPS, but also UDP, TCP any connection whatsoever.
    After using the web a little I check my 2 adapters in Network and Sharing Center.
    (There is 1 normal and 1 TAP adapter for the VPN to use)
    First (Normal adapter) shows higher Sent/Recieved Bytes than the Second (TAP) Adapter.
    Does it mean that I leak data with my real IP adress?
    Pics:

1st adapter:
    postimg-org/image/nan90its1
    2nd adapter:
    postimg-org/image/4sb3b0z9f

Can't post links/pics so make "-" a "dot."

QUESTION 2-

When I start Firefox, it makes hidden connection to some places (like checking for addon updates etc.)
    I disabled all of FF's update checks, but one connection I can't stop.

dcky6u1m8u6el.cloudfront.net (52.85.173.57)
    The thing is I blocked it's domain and IP in HOSTS file but it still connects there:

Glasswire Screenshot:

postimg-org/image/705do8onr/

QUESTION 3-

I installed Ubuntu and Linux Mint before(Couldn't get used to them, rolled back). While I was using Linux I must have deleted something from my External Hard Drive. Now there is a ".Trash-100" folder that CAN'T be deleted. Removing "Red Only" option from properties does not help.

Pic:
    postimg-org/image/3w9vj43tv

2. Leslie_Coffelt

Leslie_Coffelt MDL Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Item 3:

Boot from a linux live usb flash drive. Don't install linux, select the "try" option. You'll be able to delete anything you want. Trust me, it will be be gone when you boot windows again.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You badly need a computer that’s permanently not connected to the internet. I’m sure you would sleep better at night with that.

As for the one that’s connected, do what I do and have a “junk” surfing computer that's sacrificial.

[FONT=&amp]Actually I no longer have the junk computer as most of my surfing is done on a Mac. But I’ve prepared my will and gotten my affairs in order as I’m certain the men in black will come to take me away any day now. Or the grays; doesn’t matter which[/FONT]