May someone help me to setup windows using WinNT tool

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by MGadAllah, May 28, 2020.

1. MGadAllah

MGadAllah MDL Member

Jun 22, 2008
    #1 MGadAllah, May 28, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    Hi,
    I am trying to setup windows using the tool WinNTSetup but have a problem to determine the boot or active drive and can not let all 3 icons turned into green.
    Please may someone help?
    What I did so far:
    using the windows disk management tool to delete the whole desk drive, then create two partitions, 1st is 100 mb, and the 2nd one is the rest of the drive.
    I tried to set the 1st partition as an active partition but this option is dimmed in the right click menu.
    Then I restart and run the winnt tool, and choose the .iso and choose where to install the image.
    But all 3 icons are not green.
    Please how to solve this problem?
    Thanks

2. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    You need to set boot partition as active manually with disk management and after that 2 icons will be green, 1 remaining icon will turn green after the process completes.
    Also, you can select one partition for boot and installation drive both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MGadAllah

MGadAllah MDL Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I did tried to do so, but this option is dimmed and not active at all so I can not set it to active.
    I am sorry for not mentioning it in my 1st post, I will edit it to add it.

4. Windows_Addict

Windows_Addict MDL Expert

Jul 19, 2018
    If the option to set the partition as active is not appearing then it usually means it's already active. Investigate what is the issue, try 3rd party tools (e.g. minitool partition wizard) for help.
    Anyway, it's not the issue of WinNTsetup.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    While you're at it, change WinNT to WinNTSetup, as well, please.
    If in fact that's the tool you're talking about.

6. MGadAllah

MGadAllah MDL Member

Jun 22, 2008
    #6 MGadAllah, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    (OP)
    Thanks my friends for helping.
    Here are the steps if it maybe useful for anyone.
    - Boot into GUI mini windows using a 3rd part tool.
    - Extract Win10 .iso and run setup wizard, and deleted all partitions from targeted drive using windows setup wizard.
    - Created 2 partitions, and setup wizard created these 2 partitions along side with some other tiny 2 other small sized partitions.
    - Quite windows setup wizard at this point after created and formatted required partitions.
    - Restart machine into the same GUI in 1st step, and run WINNT Setup.
    - Now all three icons are green :).
    - Installed Win10 Ent. into 1st partition, and ticked the check box to add exiting windows in last step, then exit the wizard at the end without restarting computer.
    - Closed the WinNT Setup and reopened it, do the same steps but to install Win10 LTSC into the other partition, and ticked the same check box to add exiting windows on the same machine.
    - Then restart computer to continue setup for each windows.
    Thanks a lot :)

7. MGadAllah

MGadAllah MDL Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I am afraid that it did not worked for me that way at all.

It is not active while it is already dimmed, I do not know why, but I tried another tools for hard drive options but the set active option was not active on them too.

I did, sorry for that mistake.

8. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Well, I have to admit I haven't read all the stuff you did there, but it looks (too) complicated for something that should be relatively easy and simple, specially with the mighty WinNTSetup (BTW, you still haven't changed the thread title).
    But I wonder:
    Was this a GPT disk? Maybe you didn't need an active partition in the first place...
    Why did you extract the ISO? Couldn't you have mounted it and use it that way?
    Oh well, you got the job done in the end, but other people reading this shouldn't think it always has to be so complicated :)

9. MGadAllah

MGadAllah MDL Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I can not argue you with that because I am still learning and do not know everything.
    This is out of my hand as I have a permission to only edit post contents and not the title.
    Yes it is a GPT disk one. But when I run the winntsetup it was not green while the set to active option was dimmed as mentioned earlier, so I do not know if it is already active or not, but if I deleted the whole disk and then created 3 partitions and picked a one to set as active and found this option not available, does there is any chance that it is already active? I mean active on its own by default?
    I am using a 3rd party tool to boot from it (I've been told it is not allowed to discus or mention it here as it has some cracked software, and that tool does not have any mount tool or option, but you have a valid point, if you know how to use any tool to mount it instead of extract that would be awesome. I mean like which tool or way to use to do so?
    I was going by much more steps earlier, but I am learning on the way and things got done with fewer steps.
    I want to install 2 OSs just in case something happened to an OS I can go for the another one instead of waste a day to reinstall everything all over once again.