MBR, BOOTMGR on wrong drive

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by steiner666, Dec 9, 2010.

1. steiner666

steiner666 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    Ok i recently had to replace a motherboard in one of my PCs and i'm running into some issues getting win7 back on to it.

First off, i have no optical or external drives, only internal SATA drives. So what i did was put mounted the win7.iso and copied the files onto a freshly formatted internal sata drive and hooked it up to sata port 2 in the PC i'm working on. I was able to get windows7 installed to the proper drive, but when i remove the drive with the setup files on it i get no MBR errors when i try to boot.

I've tried a lot of things. I've tried going into repair and doing start up repair and it doesnt detect any problems, i've gone into the command prompt and created a boot directory on the C: drive because there was non and copied everything from the setup drive that i could find that had anything to do with boot or MBR. I tried running the /fixmbr and /fixboot and all that and still no boot unless this second drive is plugged in. I even installed daemon and mounted the ISO in windows on this PC and tried reinstalling windows from within windows with the second drive unplugged but i just get an error when its extracting temporary files.

I can get into windows 7 just fine on the PC, so if theres anythign I can do within windows that would be great. I just need to move or create an MBR on the C: drive. :mad:

*edit*

Ok i tried using hirens and now its gone from giving me MBR errors to bootmgr errors....

2. steiner666

steiner666 MDL Novice

Jul 19, 2009
    n/m ran EasyBCD on the computer and it easily set C: as boot drive, unplugged secondary drive and all is well :D41