MCE 2005 - a few questions to ensure I'm doing right.

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Calypso, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Calypso

Calypso MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    Hello people,

I am writing here since I have a little touble with creating a MCE 2005 disk.

Background: I got a MCE 2005 license as gift from a defected HP Notebook, unfortunately the former Owner never kept in mind to create a disc from the backup partition, which means I must create one on my own.

My first attemp has not been successful. I guess because I just modified the product ID and then made a slipstream of this image with nlite (to include drivers for my notebook). My notebook is a HP as well, but somehow the discs don't accept the valid license key. The installation routine insists this key not appropriate for the version I want to install

I got an untouched MCE 2005 retail two disk - image with SP2 and want to modify this instead of the former image I used (it has been touched and already coupled with SP3)

To my questions:
    1. I would take the sticky post for conversion of a retail to oem disk as analogy and want to ensure all appropriate steps:
    - unpacking the image is clear
    - modify the product ID to OEM
    - Get the BIOS SLP with that tool in your sticky and search the correct oembios files on oembios.net
    - insert these files
    - modify winnt.sif with my own license number

Is this the way to go? What further modifications are needed get preactivation and no need to enter the key again?

2. I would prefer a more comfortable install - just one disc, all drivers included and no need to enter timezone, user- or computer name. I thought about repacking a iso and to modify it later with nlite, can you recommend this procedure?

Any hint would help ;)

Best regards,

calypso / Alexander

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    start here......http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/6658-Create-OEM-SLP-MCE-2005-CD?highlight=MCE+2005

then use the search function...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Calypso

Calypso MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2010
    #3 Calypso, Aug 22, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    (OP)
    Thank you

Hello,

thank you for the information. Several searches here made my questions clear :biggrin:

What is to prefer? Modifiying winnt.sif, etc at first and pass that whole image to nlite then or the other way around?

Best regards,

Calysto

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    doesnt matter really, I add the OEM stuff last myself, but I do not use Nlite either...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...