Media Center PC from old HP HDX18

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by javelin1970, Mar 27, 2015.

1. javelin1970

javelin1970 MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2015
    Our old desktop finally bit the dust and I was thinking of using my seldom used HP HDX as a stand in until funds come available. It currently has 4 gigs of ram and I was wondering if you good folks thought this was sufficient for streaming/media PC strains. I don't plan to do any processor intensive "heavy lifting" and the next upgrade is 8 gig for 150 bucks - ouch.

If this has been posted in the past - I've missed it in searching and please accept my apologies for the repetitive monster.

Cheers!

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    As long as you didn't do huge Graphic works or Video editing, that machine should be good enough. How for to be on the secure site, download all drivers from the manufacturer (store on USB Flash Drive) and also update the BIOS to latest available one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    For streaming yes there should be no problems, simple answer is to try it I Still use an old laptop with celeron M 440 - 1.87 GHz and two GB of ram and absolutely no problems streaming video from official and unnofficial sites and from pisthai
    don't get it he must be assuming where you stream from and another point unless bios update refers to a specific problem you may have then don't bother.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I was just meaning: if the OP need to re- or clean install Windows 7, he just should assure to have all relevant drivers available beforehand and that the BIOS update by quite old machine is maybe not needed, but to avoid running in problems, maybe useful.

And I wasn't talking about streaming of videos (from what site ever), just about editing which needs quite a bit of resources and maybe more his old machine may have.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. javelin1970

javelin1970 MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2015
    Thanks all. I'm currently knee deep in the win 7 clean install. Updates are progressing and thankfully HP still has support for all needed drivers. Next purchase will likely be a Western Digital NAS for some decent storage. Between that and Kodi I should be good 2 go!

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011

he means "to be on the secure side of issue"