Mediafire won't let me download files that I have backed up online-Help!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Andrea Borman, Jun 9, 2012.

?

Do you use a file sharing site?

1. Which one-Mediafire?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Other

100.0%
  3. Some sites force you to enter captcha to download YOUR OWN FILES.Would you join a site that did?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. NO way

100.0%
  6. Some sites only keep your files for a short time. Would you join a site like this?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. No

100.0%
  9. Was this thread helpful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Yes

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #1 Andrea Borman, Jun 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012
    I was not sure which category to post this so I am posting it here.Feel free to move this if it is in the wrong category.But I have been using Mediafire to store my files from such as Windows Movie maker 2.1 and Windows Mail from Windows Vista and others.Which can be stored in a zip file and then downloaded onto Windows 7 because Windows 7 does not have these programs.They are only on Windows XP and Windows Vista. But if you have a Windows XP or Windows Vista computer like I have got,you can store the files online and share them with friends or make them private and download them onto your Windows 7 computer. This is what I do a lot when I am away from home and need to install or reinstall a program from Windows XP.And don't have my Windows XP or Windows Vista computer with me.

So basically I have been relying on Mediafire,the online file sharing and storage site to access my files,some of which are public, others are private.But for the past 24 hours although I can get onto the site and log into my account.When I am taken to the download page and click on the green button to download but the page just returns back to the download page and the file does not download.And then I try again and the same thing happens,I am taken back to the download page but I cannot download anything.

Also my friends have got exactly the same problem as me.when they try to download their files the page just keeps going back to the download page but they too cannot download their files or any other files that are on Mediafire.

I have emailed the site Mediafire but they just told me that they removed a file from someone else and that could be why the site not working properly.

And I even telephoned my ISP and asked them if they have blocked or restricted the site but they said no.And they tested the site and told me the problem is with the website Mediafire and there is nothing they can do.And that I have to contact Mediafire again.But they were of no help.

But it has now been over 24 hours and still I have the same problem. And even when i try to download different files for example WMP 11 for Windows 7 from WinMatrix which hosts their install on Mediafire I cannot download that either. And it's not only me. None of my friends who are in different locations and have different ISP can download anything from Mediafire either.

So there is a problem on the website which Mediafire won't fix. But i have got most of my important files on Mediafire and I am in the process of installing Windows 8 RP and reinstalling Windows 7 on another laptop. And so I need to my files from Mediafire but I cannot download anything.

So the moral of the story is NEVER rely on an online file sharing and storage site. As I have just read some posts on the web and found out that they can delete your files or your account any time. then you have got nothing. But my account is still active and not restricted.The problem is that there is a fault on the website and Mediafire have not bothered to fix it. So I and everybody else cannot download their files.

Everybody on other forums keeps telling me to back up my files on a DVD or a USB thumb drive.And yes even though I have netbooks,I do have a USB external DVD drive I could use to back up my files,using windows back up on Windows 7,Windows Vista and Windows 8. but it was just much more easier and quicker to use an online file storage and sharing site. And also I have my own website and write a lot of posts about install Windows XP software on Windows 7. And Mediafire is an easy way to share that program file with readers.So that people who do not have Windows XP or Windows Vista can just download that program file onto their computer.

And a lot of people use file sharing sites like Mediafire both for sharing and storage. But now I cannot download any of my files. And my friends and other people I have talked to cannot download their own files either.

So where do I go from here? Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Mediafire1.JPG Mediafire2.JPG

See in my pictures what happens when I try to download my files on Mediafire.I keep getting redirected to the download page again and again,but NO DOWNLOAD. Then I get presented with this catchpa.Then when I complete the catchpa,I get redirected to the download page. but still it won't let me download the file.

I don't see why I should have to complete catchpa when I have logged into my account to download MY OWN FILES. It seems that Mediafire just don't care about their customers as they have done nothing to fix the problem on their website that is effecting me and other people who have got their files stored on the site.

I have had enough of it and I now am going to back up every single file a DVD using Windows back up.That way no one can deny me access to my programs and file which I am entitled to. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    Have the same issue, onl;y able to download files stored if you add them to your own account.... think it maybe an issue with the server? :mad:

4. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
  5. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    I do not understand why people are storing their data online? What's up with that?
    Is it a trend or is it cool?
    I would never store my data online. I prefer to buy a external HDD and store it there and carry that around. Safer and quicker. ;)

6. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #6 Andrea Borman, Jun 9, 2012
    (OP)
  7. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Hey, Andrea Borman...arent you the one who posted stuff all over the web about some site that banned you? BTW, no offence meant.

8. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
  9. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    @Andrea: the link is working for me, too.

10. worfking

worfking MDL Novice

Feb 4, 2012
    link worked for me as well.

11. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    No it is still not working for me. I have just tried the link again in Google Chrome,Pale Moon browser, which is a Firefox based browser,IE8 and several other browsers. I have also tried on my other laptops,but it's still the same. I just keep getting redirected to the download page,but no download. I phoned BT who is my ISP and they said they have not blocked or restricted the site. And that they do not block websites and have no power to block.

But here is the email response from Mediafire from the email I sent them.But they sent me that response yesterday evening and still the downloads have not been fixed.

But it is not working for me or my friends who are in different location or other people. I am in England where are you? Maybe it's different elsewhere. But it seems the problem is with Mediafire.some people have said use a downloader tool.But why should I? I was able to download in a web browser until yesterday. When I could not. And I still cannot download anything from Mediafire now. But I don't have any problems with other sites,just Mediafire. Andrea Borman.

12. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    @ Andrea Borman, even I have problems with mediafire seems to take forever and have to try and refresh the page some times I even lose my Internet connection as for the IWF that goes for nothing I maybe trying to download a legitimate file it is just mediafire that is playing up as I said try refreshing to see if that helps.

13. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
  14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #14 urie, Jun 9, 2012
    I'm afraid I am old school no way would I rely on cloud backups, I always backup to either another partition, AND hard drive or dvd :D

Yes I have uploaded files to mediafire and as long as they are accessed within a certain time they are still kept on there server.

15. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    But what about Ge,tt where I have started uploading my files to? how long do they keep your files? It does not say there is a time limit on there.

Yes I have backed up my files onto a DVD using Windows Back UP.Also I have created a small partition on my Windows 7 and Windows 8 netbooks with both the installer files for my drivers and software I want to install.If I need to reinstall Windows,I do a custom install from the Windows 7 CD.

To do a clean install it is only the C drive that you need to format during the install. Not the D drive where my files are stored on. So yes they are much safer backed up that way and even safer on a DVD than on an online file storage and sharing site. And sometime you can't always access the Internet if your network is down.

Also I can use Team Viewer to install my Windows XP and Windows Vista programs onto Windows 7.Any extra large files can be installed by USB thumb drive or DVD.

But a file sharing site is all right to share your files on your blog or with friends.But NEVER use it as your only means of back up. That is a big mistake. Andrea Borman.

16. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #16 Andrea Borman, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    (OP)
  17. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Works for me. Why trust those unknown to you using procedures and protocols unknown to you to keep your data safe? Hard drives, flash drives and optical media are all just too cheap and plentiful not to use locally. Maybe online for ease of posting, but MY data is My responsibility and it's MY job to keep it safe. I simply don't trust "Peggy" in Lower Slobobia to treat my data with the respect and security I require.

18. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
  19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    As I stated before the problem is Mediafire I come from the UK my ISP is TalkTalk.