Messed up installing Windows 7 on a netbook.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by harry_seaward, Aug 28, 2011.

1. harry_seaward

harry_seaward MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2011
    So I wanted to upgrade from Windows XP to 7 on my Asus EEE PC 1000HE. I was using this guide (how-to-install-windows-7-or-windows-vista-on-physical-machine-without-dvd-media) as a reference.

I created a new partition, opened the .iso in Daemon Tools, moved the contents of the .iso to the newly created partition, and finished most of the other steps. I formatted C: at step 14. After that, I restarted. Now all I can get on the computer when I turn it on is: BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. That's it. I'm not sure what I screwed up, or how. Please tell me I can fix this. I have no optical drive, so USB is the only option.

2. mythofuniverse

mythofuniverse MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Did u do this step?
    4.) Copy the bootmgr and boot folders nested inside the copied folder (i.e. \Windows7) to root directory of system boot drive, typically C:\.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. harry_seaward

harry_seaward MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2011
    Yes, and then I proceeded to format the C: drive as step 14 instructed me to. So I'm not sure why it matters to copy those files to C: if I'm only going to later format the entire drive. But yes, I definitely did it.

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
  5. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    Also I would install version, Windows 7 Home Basic, as the spec on your netbook is not high and the graphics load from the higher versions of Win 7 may cause your Netbook to cook itself.