Messed up installing Windows 7 on a netbook.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by harry_seaward, Aug 28, 2011.

1. harry_seaward

harry_seaward MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2011
    So I wanted to upgrade from Windows XP to 7 on my Asus EEE PC 1000HE. I was using this guide (how-to-install-windows-7-or-windows-vista-on-physical-machine-without-dvd-media) as a reference.

I created a new partition, opened the .iso in Daemon Tools, moved the contents of the .iso to the newly created partition, and finished most of the other steps. I formatted C: at step 14. After that, I restarted. Now all I can get on the computer when I turn it on is: BOOTMGR is missing. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. That's it. I'm not sure what I screwed up, or how. Please tell me I can fix this. I have no optical drive, so USB is the only option.

2. mythofuniverse

mythofuniverse MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Did u do this step?
    4.) Copy the bootmgr and boot folders nested inside the copied folder (i.e. \Windows7) to root directory of system boot drive, typically C:\.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. harry_seaward

harry_seaward MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2011
    Yes, and then I proceeded to format the C: drive as step 14 instructed me to. So I'm not sure why it matters to copy those files to C: if I'm only going to later format the entire drive. But yes, I definitely did it.

4. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    #4 stayboogy, Aug 28, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2011
    harry seaward, where is this guide you supposedly followed??? post the link without the http: so you can post it. seems very much like common sense that you wouldn't format something after copying much needed files and folders to it when trying to do an install, but that is just me... aside from that there are not 14 steps needed to install windows 7 to a machine without an optical drive unless you can't boot from usb on it, which most can since they have no other way of using bootable media...

check out this link: http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/23687-Windows-7-Installation-Guide

then read the part that is titled "Preparing the USB from the ISO image"

after your USB is prepped, plug it in, restart pc, choose "boot menu" at bios post, then choose "USB" and let it boot. when you get to the screen that asks where you want to install windows 7 choose "advanced" and format your partition where you want to install to, and then choose that partition. then just let it do its thing. that should be all you need to do.

let me know if you have any issues from this :cool:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    Also I would install version, Windows 7 Home Basic, as the spec on your netbook is not high and the graphics load from the higher versions of Win 7 may cause your Netbook to cook itself.