Messed up my Win 10 activation, please help!

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Erdnuesschen, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Erdnuesschen

Erdnuesschen MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    Hello,

I think I messed up my Win 10 activation and I need advice what to do.

So this is what happened:
    1. I had a Win 7 retail version, which I upgraded to Win 10 back when the upgrade offer started. Activation was successfull with a digital license. Activation was linked to my MS account.
    2. Got new hardware and did a clean install. Used the old Win 7 retail key and my existing MS account. Everything was working fine again.
    3. Last week my motherboard got broken. Before I realised it was a hardware defect I did a win 10 reset. Activation was fine after the reset, but my computer was still broken.
    4. Got a new motherboard and repaired my computer. Win 10 was not activated, although I used my MS account.
    5. Now I think I made the big mistake: I thought i couldnt activate win because of the old computer registered in my ms account, so I deleted the activated computer online in the account settings.
    6. Later I read that I should have use the troubleshooting assistent under windows activation to transfer the old activation to the renewed computer. When I try to do it now, there is no other maschine listed to transfer activation.

I tried to use the old Win 7 retail key again (change product key in settings), but it is rejected with error message 0x8007005. In the activation settings there is also a line that the activation server are not reachable.

So what can I do now? Is my digital licence lost forever or is there a way to re-activate my win 10 installation?
    Please help me!

Thanks,
    Erdnuesschen

2. chris19756

chris19756 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2009
    Go back to a older version from windows 10-10586 th2, install it with your windows 7 key this should be working, in 1607 is no more a pkey check config for older windows versions, ore install windows 7 with sp1 and activate it, then force a upgrade with iso ore media creation tool, ore call microsoft and say that you loose your activation because you change motherboard, they can help too

3. Erdnuesschen

Erdnuesschen MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    How can I go back to an older version? Tried the win 10 iso I made when win 10 was published, but I keep getting the error that the win 7 key is rejected.

If I try the win7-install-then-upgrade-thing, can I use a VM or has it to be the real computer I'm using right now?

Tried also the telephone activation but got lost in the "press 1 for this, press 2 for that" process. Do I have to speak with a real support worker for this to work?

4. chris19756

chris19756 MDL Member

Jul 20, 2009
    #4 chris19756, Mar 22, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    Speak with a real person!download a older version from windows, and perform a clean install, first release was 10240, here you must install a windows 7, activated then perform a upgrade, by 10586 you can enter in setup the product key and this must be activated the version, the other thing is you install windows 7 and activated with daz loader and perform a upgrade with media tool,but better speak with a person first, when they csnt help you, made one of the other steps

5. Erdnuesschen

Erdnuesschen MDL Novice

Jun 6, 2015
    Solved!! Thanks, chris19756! I downloaded the right ISO, started the installation and finally it accepted my old Win 7 retail key. Now my Win10 is once again digitally licensed and linked to my microsoft account. :clap: