Messenger - the Windows desktop Messenger client

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by vali20, Apr 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    #1 vali20, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011
    #2 leebo_28, Apr 11, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
    might want to mention you need .NET Framework 4 installed to work.

Doesn't play well with FF Untitled2.png :(

3. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    I have pushed an update (2015.04.12), restart the application and the patch should be automatically applied. The update fixes the following:
    * The app is restored on screen if relaunched again via the executable file, or by a shortcut, or by its taskbar button if pinned. So the app can now be pinned to the taskbar, and when you close it (and it goes to the system tray and hides itself), clicking the taskbar button will respawn the application on screen.
    * Added an option to toggle the blue border of the app and instead show the standard Windows border, or no border at all if shadows are disabled in Windows. This is a partial workaround for people having issues with how the app displays on High DPI displays. A full workaround is coming soon for this issue, I am looking into it.
    Enjoy!

4. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    where settings are stored, registry?
    can I translate it to portuguese?

5. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    I store it using C#'s built-in way of storing settings. They are in a randomized folder located in C:\Users\your_name\AppData\Local\ValiNet_Romaniat there you will find one or several folders called "Messenger exe Url " and than some randomized string. Inside that, there is a folder for each version the application had since it was installed on your PC. Inside those folders, there's a "user.conficr file. Inside that are the settings stored. that's a file which respects the XML structure so editing it is pretty straightforward.
    Of course you can translate it to every language you want, be my guest, would you like me to PM you all the strings the app contains? If you do this, I will surely push an update for it as soon as possible.

6. Chibi ANUBIS

Chibi ANUBIS MDL Chibi Developer

Apr 28, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    Thank's for explain, being a portable app i has curious how it store it's setting.

I will be glad if you can send me all the stings to translate.

I'm not a Facebook user myself, but lots of my friends and relatives will enjoy your app if translated.

I live in a country where 200 million people can't understand a single word in english, go figure.

8. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Yes, sure, will post them here and also PM you soon with them, I have been a bit busy these days and haven't had time to code that much... Excuse me for the delay, and I assure you I will post them here as soon as I get home to my main PC where the source code is. And thank you for your support!

9. revertex

revertex MDL Member

May 30, 2010
    No need to apologize, I'm also not in a hurry.
    Take your time.

10. kirashi

kirashi MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2014
    I think it's wonderful to have a stand alone messenger app ever since they nuked their own version.

How is authentication handled though regarding login and security?

11. BiscuitEdi

BiscuitEdi MDL Novice

Oct 23, 2014
    Didn't bother to look at it. I'm asuming he make a browser that goes to messenger.com
    Just use that site or an addon for chrome/firefox which does the same thing.

12. embi

embi MDL Novice

May 15, 2014
    Using a messenger without having access to source code and from an extremely unknown developer? no thanks...

13. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    #14 vali20, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
    (OP)
    @embi hey, don't accuse me of sth, I'm not stealing any data with this app (btw, "no thanks" would have been enough). The source code can be easily viewed by a person who actually knows how to look at a source code (what I mean, the application is a .NET assembly, it can be decompiled effortlessly using an app like ILSpy, or .NET Reflector - that's why I considered redundant to include the source code). And btw, I developed it for my own use in the first place, than thought it may be helpful to others and simply released it, it is provided "as is". I cannot promise that "that feature" will be included, and I don't want it to be used by 1 mil. people, as I don't have the time to properly maintain it (bug fixes, new features etc) - I've got school & other things to deal with, like new or other projects.

@BiscuitEdi if it were to be just a simple browser, I wouldn't release it, as it would bring no added value/features. This app supports notifications, which a browser cannot deliver (maybe Chrome, but only if it runs in the background, plus that not all the people use/like Chrome). This is just an alternative. Btw, why bother writing a reply here telling everyone you didn't bother to look at it? I bothered to look at your reply, on the other hand, and don't write a post here to tell everyone how useless that was, and how I regret the time it took me to read it...

14. TehMadWolf

TehMadWolf MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2014
    #15 TehMadWolf, Oct 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Just use
    Code:
    messengerfordesktop.com

15. vali20

vali20 MDL Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Yup, you can use that too, it is developed by one of my friends ;) Don't want to brag, but Romanians really love computers - met with him in so many programming contests during high school. So yeah, give it a try ;)