Metro Apps deleted

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by hanschke, Jan 30, 2015.

1. hanschke

hanschke MDL Senior Member

Jan 8, 2008
    I have deleted all the apps and lost the settings with the windows update. How can I fix it :confused:

2. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    arseny recently warned to not delete apps because it is dangerous. If a total refresh doesn't help you will have to install from scratch

3. hanschke

hanschke MDL Senior Member

Jan 8, 2008
    with 8.x I dont need any metro app but now if you do this the startmenu is not working so why MS do this :(

4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    if i have a 9926 ISO made.....try to repair it.....if u cant u have to re-install 9926 again.....dont delete does apps their part of the OS...thats why your having issues.

5. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    You can do a Refresh of your system by using the recovery feature incorporated into it. Perhaps you can use system restore if you have a restore point before you make changes to your system to forestall the issues.

6. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    yeah ms made the apps more integrated with the os, removing them breaks other things, geez :eek:

7. tsukasa80

tsukasa80 MDL Novice

Aug 4, 2012
    I removed all except Calculator, Both stores, Camera, and photos without an issue. I completely removed them and ran this in powershell to fix what was left. "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}"

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    In the new Start Menu, hover the mouse over an Metro Apps, Right Click and if it shows Uninstall, you could just do that. If it didn't shows Uninstall, just use Unpin from StartMenu! If you use that way, you're on the safe site. Missing the command Uninstall, means that those apps is needed by the OS! For example: Music and Video could not be uninstalled, that's what I've left from the normal installed apps and all works fine!

Don't use any 3.party apps for to uninstall any Windows own Apps, you're in danger!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    Then use the same command to enable them by changing Disable to Enable.

10. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    Why is it dangerous? They can be removed with dism, and dism won't allow you doing things with an image that are unhealthy for it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    Please ask arseny. I never faced problems since I never deleted store aps.

12. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    #13 arseny92, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    With the, for example, Start menu, being treated as a Modern app (Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_1.0.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe), removing it would leave you without start shell. Removing Cortana (Microsoft.Cortana_1.3.1.444_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe) leaves you without search from button/taskbar. Removing the print dialog (Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy) leaves you without the dialog, being unable to print, unless the program uses a non-standard dialog. Removing devices flow (windows.devicesflow_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy) will render device connections useless in Settings, when you try for example add a Bluetooth, NFC, networked, etc. device with the devices flow, or through Connect in Action Center.

Note that, while cw5n1h2txyewy apps rendered as being coresys, 8wekyb3d8bbwe is the main publisher id for standard apps, as being the publisherid of Microsoft-published apps in Store, thus meaning these apps are considered to not be part of the OS (however they are, at the same time), and are updateable via Store, whenever Microsoft wants them to be updated. This allows Microsoft to more easily update system components via the store. A working example is when you get Music, Video, Battery Saver, Data Sense, Calendar and Calculator updated on the Windows Phone - they are core apps, but provisioned to Store.

To folks thinking that you do not need all the new functions with a new OS - things have changed. Why iPhone/iPad/OSX/Android/Linux users don't complain about having some system core "app" being updated via the platform's Store/repository?

DISM is outdated and is a work-in-progress too, quite normal for it to not have system apps protection filters at the current early stage. It is a technical preview. Features are yet to be developed. Be wary on what you remove from Get-AppxPackage.

13. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    I wouldn't uninstall apps via powershell unless you know what you are doing.

You can safely remove apps like Mail (calender, people are in the same package), News, Weather. You know, the default applications.
    But items that are new to Windows 10, don't remove them, also apps that are not uninstallable via the Start Menu.

Most applications that Microsoft include are small applications which don't take a lot of space.
    If you are unsure if you can safely uninstall an application, don't do it then.

And if you remove something and can't get it back, refresh your PC.

14. Stannieman

Stannieman MDL Guru

Sep 4, 2009
    I din't know that the start menu and printing dialog are now also modern apps (din't look into W10 yet). I meant that the 8wekyb3d8bbwe are all safe to remove just like in W8.1.
    And even then you should know what you are removing. For example removing that start menu can only happen if you explicitly tell dism to remove the package it is in. And if you do nothing is broken, you're left without start menu, but the os is not broken.

15. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen MDL Junior Member

Apr 17, 2011
    No, NEVER delete all 8wek.... apps.
    If you remove them, you also remove the integral applications such as the Shell Experience Host, Windows Store, WinJS, Feedback, Cortana.

But anyway.
    If people don't want the new stuff or want to tinker without knowing what you do break something and only complain afterwards, go back to Windows 7.
    There the new stuff isn't included and your Start Menu and everything is included.

If you install these builds, you agree that those applications are included and can be vital to the system.

16. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    #18 Atari800XL, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
    Well, Rob, of course I completely understand what you're saying, but please also understand that some people here @MDL like to play around with this stuff, right until (and beyond) the point at which stuff actually breaks. No harm in trying (an hopefully: learning), is there?

I agree we can't "complain" afterwards, but we can share any findings, experiences, etc., can't we?
    (Thanks for the great "The Collection Book" site, BTW...)

EDIT: As with the first Windows 8 versions, I just wish Microsoft would give users more of a choice. I believe that if there would have been a choice between Metro and non-Metro right from the start, Windows 8 (and later) would have been a much bigger success. (Think "corporate users!!")

17. arseny92

arseny92 MDL Secret Weapon

Sep 22, 2009
    #19 arseny92, Feb 1, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    That's the point. However some 8wekyb3d8bbwe are not quite safe to remove Win10 onwards as seen above, due to not being coresys, including Start
    Code:
    Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_10.0.9926.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - cloud join will fail if removed
    Microsoft.CloudExperienceHost_1.0.0.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe - same, you won't be able to workplace join to AAD/Intune/365/etc if removed
    Microsoft.ContentDeliveryManager_1.0.0.5_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - some content functions, such as random spotlight "default" lock screen image retrieval
    Microsoft.Cortana_1.3.1.444_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Cortana and search
    microsoft.windows.authhost.sso_8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Microsoft.Windows.Photos_1.0.1501.13126_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Photos, not normally uninstall-able fromStart
    Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost_1.0.0.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Start, shell
    Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_6.4.15.31_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Alarms, not normally uninstall-able from Start
    Microsoft.WindowsCalculator_6.4.15.11_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Calculator, although uninstall-able, removing it will point calc.exe to nowhere
    Microsoft.WindowsDefaultLockScreen_1.0.0.0_neutral_NorthAmerica_8wekyb3d8bbwe - new lockscreen/logonui
    Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.1.8.2_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Store2
    Microsoft.WindowsCamera_5.0.3.18_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Camera, not normally uninstall-able from Start
    Microsoft.ZuneMusic_2.6.653.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Music, not normally uninstall-able from Start
    Microsoft.ZuneVideo_2.6.434.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe - Video, not normally uninstall-able from Start
    all PlayReady packages
    all VCLibs dependencies
    all WinJS dependencies

all coresys:
    winstore_1.0.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    CheckPoint.VPN_1.0.0.1_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    f5.vpn.client_1.0.0.11_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    FileManager_6.3.9600.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    JuniperNetworks.JunosPulseVpn_1.0.0.206_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.MoCamera_6.3.9600.16384_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    SonicWALL.MobileConnect_1.0.0.8_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    windows.devicesflow_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Windows.DockingController_cw5n1h2txyewy
    windows.immersivecontrolpanel_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Windows.MtcUvc_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Windows.PrintDialog_6.2.0.0_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy

ps not complete list, be wary

18. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I agree, MS has done a terrible job of constructing and marketing Windows 8 as well as Surface Pro/Phone. Was viewing two MS ads for today's Super Bowl here in the USA, almost every comment suggested MS get a new marketing team.
    I realize building the OS and marketing the OS are 2 separate things, but they should at least on the same page one day out of the week.