Metro Apps for a non touchscreen PC - Why?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Frankincense, Dec 20, 2012.

1. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    I've been using Windows 8 for a while now and it's "OK" but I almost never go to the "Metro Apps" screen.

With a non touchscreen PC is there something I'm missing?

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    A thread for this...it´s definitly me who´s missing here something.

[btw, not using these apps either...:D]
    Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    #3 burfadel, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Nope :) it's been a big topic of discussion with a lot of disagreement.

The truth is, and a lot of people will scoff at this, is that the only purpose behind Metro is to improve saleability of surface and Windows phone. Uniformity across platforms to improve cross-platform sales. Windows 8 UI could have been significantly better, but what we got is what we got, and unfortunately we're probably stuck with it. Sales have been good because Windows 8 is so cheap.

The other downside with Metro apps is although they are probably quite fast, they are usually quite basic, and take up more space and consist of more files than the programs, for what they are, should take. There's also the limitation that LUA (of which consists of UAC) must be enabled system wide to use Metro Apps. So, UAC can't be completely disabled if you want to use Metro Apps, and there is no separate UAC for Metro Apps. There seems to be a bug in Windows 8 (not sure if it's still there, but has been confirmed by others), basically the security attributes of other drives created under Windows 7 may disallow you from deleting or altering them (no all files or scenarios though) with LUA enabled.

4. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    That's not a W8 "bug", it even exists in W7 and Vista, but because you can change EVERYTHING in windows this is not a issue, you can rewrite the permissions completely, it just may take a bit of time.
    It's simply Windows having a confusing permission system, you create Folder on Place A and it will have permissions for your Username/Administrators, not Authenticated Users or Users.. create a Folder in Place B and it's using Users/Administrators/Authenticated Users, Windows doesn't rewrite the Permissions for these when you re-install, so when you try to write in a Folder that still has your OLD Username and not Users listed, you get a little dialog so it elevates and gets permissions, it's annoying but that how it works, it can be changed at all times.
    Sometimes though Windows will write the wrong Permissions onto your main drive, i don't know why but that's not really a issue, it's just the root having a different permission, so you can't put anything onto C:\ for example without being Admin or having UAC turned off, i have a Post somewhere on the forum where i have it explained how to "fix" it back into original State.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    I started this topic as I thought I was missing some obscure reason for Metro..... I just can't see why anyone with a regular laptop or PC would ever use these so called "Metro" apps. The first thing I do when setting up a PC for friends or family is install Classic Start Menu to make Metro disappear. The amount of people I know who have bought a Win 8 laptop and just stared at the Metro screen thinking - what the hell is this..

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #6 Shenj, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    It can be quite handy, as for me i like the Weather Tile, but does one need it? well Not really, but does it hurt to have the Information you want just by pressing winkey? Neither.
    Yesterday i needed some Timed Reminder, so i just launched the Store and searched for Alarm, clicked something high rated and done, luckly enough it just did what i needed, all of that took about 1 Minute, including Searching, downloading and setting the Alarm. Of course i could have jumped into google and search for some Timer, but finding something that would have worked as quick and easy would have taken a bit longer, i didn't need any really complicated function though, but it would have definitely taken longer, i also could have created a scheduled Task, but that's by far not the greatest solution to set a quick Alarm.. Also the Metro App did Alarm me with a nice Notification and ofc Sound. Simply Uninstalled the App after i didn't need it anymore.

It can have it's uses, but right now the Store seems to be filled with a lot of junk quality Apps, buggy or really so basic you couldn't really use most of them even on a Tablet, i don't see much use for most of these on a Desktop, some can be pretty useful, something like a Weather Tile is basically just a gadget, i never launch it, it's already showing what i want to know.

You seem to forget though that basically all W7 PCs do not have the Hardware which Windows 8 was really designed for. It's not really about All in Ones with Touch etc, it's really more about a complete package of different inputs, Metro is fabulous to use with it's swiping and stuff, nobody really says you have to reach out to your Monitor to touch something, one can always Stream or multiple the Input from a tiny 7" Slate, Windows 8 is a Start, it makes room for innovation in how we use our PCs and W8 is not the end of the road either..

7. Frankincense

Frankincense MDL Novice

Nov 7, 2012
    Thank you for your comprehensive thoughts.

I know - it's all about choice - it's just such a gear change for solo desktop users though...

8. S_A_S

S_A_S MDL Member

Oct 16, 2012
    Maybe a touchscreen :rolleyes:

9. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Give it some time, if one doesn't want change, stick to the old Device and W7, also all Windows 8 Pro Machines sold can be downgraded for free to Windows 7 or Vista, you just need to contact MS.
    Microsoft has to start somewhere for a change, a lot of consumers start to shift away from PC's heck most have a Laptop only now.. a lot of ppl might have enough with a iPad but that's not reality, probably for like 80-90% of iPad users it's a Second Device, not a Device that's replacing a PC. If we look at the Current Market, a Surface RT can actually replace a Laptop for many as it includes Office but not all, a Surface Pro could replace iPad and Laptop for a LOT of ppl, Hybrids like Asus Transformers are also very interesting but at the moment not very "sexy" in Design but very functional, Surface though is more of a on-go device thanks to it's neat Kickstand and Touchcover.

You have to see it from multiple viewpoints, just because something already works doesn't mean it will work forever for everyone. Windows XP is still pretty strong, but Windows 7 in 10 Years? probably less of what XP currently has.

I can even see me switching away from a "Desktop", but i would still basically have a Desktop setup.. Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse.
    My Storage would be in a NAS, i would prefer something like a Surface, but it would require Thunderbolt, good enough CPU... and the only reason it would require Thunderbolt is to dock this thing into my Desktop Space, have it connect to my NAS, GPU (Thunderbolt makes it possible, companies just need to create solutions), Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse. So it's truly one Device that can rule em all, currently that's a bit impossible as even a Surface Pro is not powerful enough, has no Thunderbolt and we are also missing Thunderbolt GPU solutions still, Intels Haswell brings Thunderbolt integration so we might start to see external GPU casing appear next year for more ppl to buy, so they can play graphic intense Game on any Hardware, though you never know.. in 10 Years we might actually stream almost half the games to Devices instead of processing them directly on it.

The future looks convenient.