Metro apps issues (audio; video; camera...)

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by guillaumeiii, Aug 19, 2012.

1. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Hi !

I recently installed Windows 8 RTM Enterprise X86 on my PC, and I am having issues with some Metro apps.

The music player keeps crashing (immediatly) when I try to play a song. Moreover, all (metro) applications that may play music (web radios such as TubaFM i.e) do not work too.
    The video player won't play any video (keeps loading the file, not playing it) and so do other apps that play online videos, such as France24 news app (and all other video apps...).
    Finally, when trying to launch the Camera app, it says me "Sorry. The camera app cannot be used with this version of Windows". I tried another App Store app that used the webcam ; pretty much same result, it crashes.

The weird thing is that video and audio playback work perfectly in Google Chrome (desktop), Windows Media player (on desktop too) etc... I guess I am missing some sort of protocol allowing me to have audio and video playback in the Metro interface...Same for the use of webcam.

Does anyone have that problem too?
    What can I do to fix it ?

Thanks in advance,

Guillaume

PS : excuse my English, as I am French native.

2. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    I just reinstalled Windows 8 X86 Enterprise, and nothing changed. Media playback in the Metro interface won't work.

Does someone has a hint to try to make it work ?

3. SiXXGuNNZ

SiXXGuNNZ MDL Novice

Aug 12, 2012
    install codecs. ffdshow(both audio and video or just video) up to you. ac3filter works for audio also.

4. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    install the original drivers for both video and audio available on the manufacturers website.

5. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    #5 guillaumeiii, Aug 19, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
    (OP)
    I installed ffdshow and ac3filter with the recommended settings, and it did not fix the problem. I am not sure it is related to general media playing codecs, since music playing works perfectly with the Zune Desktop Player, or Windows Media Player. Same, video playback works with Windows Media Player or VLC.

The problem only occurs when trying to use the Metro Apps, such as Music, Video, TubaFM, Web Radio, France24 (etc) that have to manage some sort of media playback.

I'll try that, but I'm not sure it will change something, considering audio and video work in "normal" Windows. It's just the Metro apps that don't seem to manage it.

6. buksnatata

buksnatata MDL Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Everything here works ok

7. RCOO

RCOO MDL Senior Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Are you messing with the watermarks? I had the same problem, because I removed my watermark. When I restored the watermark they started working properly again.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    If you activate Windows 8, the watermark disappears. Now Video Playback is only included in the Pro Windows Media Center edition. They removed the playback from Windows Media Player to make you buy the Media Center.

9. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Nope, not messing with watermarks. My Win8 RTM version is activated ! No watermarks anymore.

Sure, but on my second PC on which I installed Windows 8 Pro WITHOUT the Media Center Pack, everything works fine. Are you saying it is not possible to use Video Playback on Win Enterprise ? Weird because Video playback in Media Player works in Enterprise...the problem is Metro, not Media Player.

I'll install that. Keeping you informed.

10. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    install.cmd doesn't seem to work, saying me that the files were not found (in the terminal). Otherwize, installing updates appropriate to my version didn't change anything...

Too bad o_O

Do Metro apps use special codecs or not ?

11. McRip

McRip MDL Addicted

Aug 15, 2011
    That's about your permissions.

12. Hentrax

Hentrax MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    I have the same problem and updates from win8.cesidian.info didn't solve it.

Is there anything else we can do?
    What is the problem with the permissions?

13. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Thanks so far! As said Hentrax (not alone \o/) though, which permissions are we suppose to change in order to make it work ?

14. vcfan

vcfan MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    windows 8 enterprise DOES NOT HAVE MEDIAFOUNDATION, so no media apps will work. that is why some apps crash and others wont play media,because mf is missing. also,some pc games rely on mediafoundation,and if you don't have it, they wont run,like saints row 3.

15. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    Oh, I see...But then, why does Windows Media Player or Zune Desktop work ? And my son played an old game (Zoo Tycoon) and sound worked...

Anyway, you should be right. But then might it be possible to install MediaFoundation so that media apps shall work?

16. Hentrax

Hentrax MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2012
    #17 Hentrax, Aug 21, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
    hem.. I have Windows 8 pro... (Installed with the MSDN image, and not activated.)

17. vcfan

vcfan MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2012
    windows media player still supports directshow,so theres no reason it shouldn't work. only mediafoundation codecs wont work. I think wmv is mf, not sure if theres a directshow one too. and not many games use mediafoundation,but some do. if zoo tycoon works fine,then its not dependant on mf.

18. guillaumeiii

guillaumeiii MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2012
    So is there no way to install "manually" these codecs ?

19. pandev92

pandev92 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2012
    I have exactly the same problema with Windows 8 Enterprise N, the music and video App doesn't work, YouTube App too .. :(