Mice work only when plugged into USB 3.0

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by C.B., Oct 2, 2011.

1. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    I've spent days researching this problem and have found no solutions. I plug the Microsoft wireless mobile mouse 3500 transceiver into my USB 2.0 port and the cursor movements are so erratic that the mouse is useless. I try to use a Microsoft wired mouse connected to the USB 2.0 port and it does not work at all. However, both the wireless mobile mouse and wired mouse work perfectly when plugged into one of the two USB 3.0 ports.

This problem occurs on my Dell XPS 17 L702X laptop, which is less than three weeks old. The laptop is running Win 7 Ultimate x64. I have installed the latest drivers from Microsoft's website. I have uninstalled them and reinstalled them but the problem remains. I have exchanged the Microsoft wireless mobile mouse 3500 for a new one but the identical problem remains.

I do not have this problem on my Dell Studio XPS 7100, which is also running Win 7 Ultimate x64. The same mice that fail to work properly on the laptop's USB 2.0 port work perfectly with the USB 2.0 ports on the desktop. Everything in Device Manager (laptop) is up to snuff and no problems are indicated.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided.

C.B.

2. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011

Strange,very strange with...I will test and give help if can...:confused:

3. evlad

evlad MDL Member

May 23, 2011
    I guess ?!
    touch pad is on or off ?
    touch pad is pointing device, mouse is pointing device. conflict ?!
    bios
    some option about usb (legacy) ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. C.B.

C.B. MDL Junior Member

Jan 13, 2009
    My bad. I should have mentioned that I disabled the touch pad and it made no difference. I also tried it with the generic Microsoft driver. I also made sure the problem was not related to electronic interference. It's not a big deal. I'll contact Dell and have them replace the USB connection. If that doesn't solve the problem I'll simply trash the Microsoft wireless mouse and buy a different brand mouse.

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.