Micro SD corrupt

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Carel, Dec 29, 2011.

1. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    My Micro SD card that I'm using in my phone suddenly caused my phone to freeze when I insert it. I inserted the Micro SD card into my PC's card reader and the card doesn't want to format - it shows up as a 2kb drive. I was wondering if there are any tools out there that can re-initialize the SD card so that it can be formatted again? In Acronis Disk Director Suite it appears that the drive only has 4 sectors (which is impossible). There are no options to partition it however so I really don't know what to do... Is there any tools that can re-initialize the SD card or at least be able to detect it so I can re-partition it?

2. jayblok

jayblok MDL Guru

Dec 26, 2010
    #2 jayblok, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Unfortunately the procedure in the video don't work in my case. I just get a message that says: "DiskPart encountered an error: The parameter is incorrect". The thing is, my SD card won't work until it is properly initialized. I think Track 0 has gone corrupt and now the PC won't recognize the SD card as a card anymore. If I only knew how to use the SD card in SPI mode, then I could've fixed it.

4. Carel

Carel MDL Member

Oct 11, 2009
    It also doesn't work. The problem is not to format the SD card. The problem is to get the SPI to Flash controller in the SD card to re-register the kind of EEPROM in the SD card. This is a procedure that is done at the manufacturer and if something goes wrong there - it cannot be corrected by just formatting the device or re-partitioning it.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    #6 Snuffy, Dec 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  6. R29k

R29k MDL GLaDOS

Feb 13, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...