Microsoft announces new Edge security feature

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Katzenfreund, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
  2. TCM

TCM MDL Addicted

Aug 25, 2011
    More complexity! It's super-good!

3. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    LOL At last! It was about time!

Sandboxing
    AppContainer

for good :biggrin:

4. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    It is time Microsoft thinks out of the box and makes Microsoft Edge a universal application. This wonderful browser needs to go beyond Windows environment and enters into other operating systems like Linux, MacOS, Unix, etc.

5. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I remember seeing threads knocking Edge, while in the telemetry hysteria, several members wanted to…push it off the edge by uninstalling it.

But being fair and objective, Edge is not a bad browser. Apart from supporting standard features (extensions, “paste-and-go” etc) it’s fast and highly compatible with websites. And it goes beyond that with page marking and now also sandboxing capabilities. Last but not least, it has the lowest energy consumption among browsers, which is very important for portable devices.

6. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    People don't dislike Edge because it's bad or anything. They dislike it because they don't want MS to control their information and choices.
    Google leaks your info like a sieve and people generally prefer it.

7. 600415

600415 MDL Member

Aug 31, 2015
    I dislike Edge because it lacks features. I still use IE reguralry :p

8. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    I was expecting this comment, which is both probably true and certainly reasonable.

There is, nevertheless, at least a partial answer. That is, Internet itself is a sieve and little you do on it remains secret, in fact it's dangerous to assume otherwise. And Edge is by no means the only browser that collects data. So do among others. Chrome, Opera and even the privacy-boasting Maxthon. Not to mention using Google, Bing, email clients etc, with even VPN services not being excluded. And not only sites you visit spy on you, but there's no end of reports of massive leakages of private data, to name only the two most recent cases of Dropbox (68M) and Yahoo (500M).

I'd even go as far as to say that trying to hide your browsing activities, eg by using proxies, is the surest way to make them targeted by NSA, FBI & Co.

Nobody likes being watched, but equally certainly nobody can avoid it, and the best way to deal with it is to avoid doing anything reproachable.