Microsoft Defender Offline Scan & Reputation-based Protection Not Working

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Rez Huq, May 30, 2021.

1. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    #1 Rez Huq, May 30, 2021
    Last edited: May 30, 2021
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    You do not have to look for a solution on the Internet, but contact the computer owner and / or administrator. Only they can change these restrictions.
    If you have made any changes to your computer yourself, undo those changes or, if necessary, make a new and clean installation.
    If none of the above is true, that is, it is your personal computer, then the only chance is that its settings are corrupted or that the whole Windows is damaged.
    If you decide to reinstall, you can only keep your files. As soon as you will keep also the settings, you're in the same situation.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    it is my personal laptop and I don't know, when what software/scripts I installed and that happened. But, I noticed that recently since I'm taking active stance on virus/malware/PUP recently. Also, Microsoft Defender Offline scan do not work as well.
    Purchased the laptop overseas, do not have any copies of win-10 to reinstall.
    Based on the several tech magazine/forums, it is some sort scripts/software I installed to avoid to pay the fee i.e. MSO-2016, IDM... If I can perform offline scan then it might solve both of the problem.

4. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    Hi @Rez Huq
    Is it possible that you have logged into some server or domain such that you inherited the settings?

However, ensure that you are logged in as administrator, open the registry editor and check this key:
    "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows Defender"
    you should have nothing inside it like screenshot. Policy Manager should also have nothing as well.
    Reg Win Defndr.jpg

5. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    #5 Rez Huq, May 31, 2021
    Last edited: May 31, 2021
    (OP)
    Hi, I also think, I've somehow inherited the settings by installing software or browsing some server....
    I've checked as you've suggested and yes, there is nothing (just like your picture) at Windows Defender, Policy Manager. Plus, below the policy manager button there is another button: "Real-time protection" which I'm not seeing in your picture. However, it has nothing as well.
    Please suggest what to do next?
    Also, my MS Defender offline scan do not work. What to do for that?

6. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    #6 Simple07, May 31, 2021
    Download SuperAntiSpyWare and scan your computer incase you inherited some other stuff as well.
    By the way, if you have installed some other Anti Virus scanners, they can play with Defender settings. Uninstall it/them.

Also, you could login as Administrator or create a new (Admin) local user (not linked to Microsoft) on your computer and see if Defender works fine.
    If defender Works fine on the Administrator or the new user and your attempts with the troublesome account fail. Move all your stuff to the new account and drop/delete the one causing trouble and call it a day.

Or you could restore to point when the computer was working!.

Usually, these issues are not difficult, but you need to know what have you done and undo it!

7. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    #7 Rez Huq, May 31, 2021
    (OP)
    Doing accordingly. Scan ongoing. Not have other AV except Defender. Lemme know, if I do not need to turn it off as well?
    Update: NOTHING has found except some cookie-based adware. Even deleted all those (see the attached photo below).

Don't know, when it happened but noticed yesterday since I was cleaning my laptop. Therefore, don't know to what point I do need to system restore/undo!

Would you mind to guide me slight more detail. I'm a non-techy person.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      105 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      79.4 KB
      Views:
  8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This does not happen by itself and there is nothing to restore if you have not made a backup copy of Windows and the registry.
    You don't have to have a copy of Windows to reinstall, because you can always download it from the server.
    Your problem is not some malware or a virus, but this Administrator who made such stupid changes to your computer.
    You can also try to reset the current version, but you can only do this if your shadow copy is also not corrupted.
    So, as I already said, download clean iso and do clean instalatioon keeping/saving only Your personal files.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    Perhaps, I've somehow inherited the settings by installing software or browsing some server....please point me on where to download fresh copy of original windows I got when I purchased the laptop.
    Who is Administrator here? I'm using the laptop all my own from the beginning. If I even make stupid changes then there should have some settings that I can revert- isn't it? If you can, please guide me on that...
    My laptop is working fine. So, fresh installation is not prior consideration unless I can fix the problem by changing the settings. My only concern is that, my offline scan and specific app scan with reputation-based settings is not working which only indicates that some rogue app/software installation took my permission and I installed those rogue software unknowingly. Those software do not want to get caught by Defender and SmartScreen. Therefore, controlling the Defender and SmartScreen settings acting as Administrator.

10. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    #11 Rez Huq, Jun 1, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2021
    (OP)

Attached Files:

11. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    Run these from Admin CMD, it might help:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk c: /b /f /v /x /scan
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /AnalyzeComponentStore
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:G:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>SFC /SCANNOW

With respect to Restore Point, You are the only one who knows the approximate date, you could try the likely one!

The problem is that it is very difficult to know what happened to your computer such that one may be able to help with confidence. I guess you will need to search the net for answers and try them. This is how most people learnt.

If you can save your work externally and you really have nothing important on the computer. You are probably better off refreshing Windows from the recovery partition or downloading a newer build and perform an upgrade, or format and reinstall.

Search you manufacturer's site for how to recover your specific computer or this site for Windows ISO download.

12. Rez Huq

Rez Huq MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2021
    Performed all the CMD based command you suggested with administrative privileges successfully. Again, tried to perform MS defender offline scan, pc restarts but Dell Backup and Recovery took the process over and did a smart repair test again and as usual found nothing. May be Dell is also to blame here. They have installed any data collection software and they do not want me to perform offline scan. Any more suggestions?
    However, you seems knowledgeable and supportive person. My File History is also not working and made a separate thread. Please help me to fix it or suggest me a functional/feature-rich freeware/open-source software to auto-sync/auto-backup my files to external drive. Go to the thread here: https://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/windows-file-history-cannot-turn-on.83588/
    Thanks in advance.

13. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
  14. Simple07

Simple07 MDL Addicted

Nov 15, 2012
    I presume Windows came with your computer, in which case it has a digital license. If such, any installation of Windows 10 Home will be legitimate and the new installation will have a digital license automatically.

Yes you have to reinstall the applications. But trust me, incase of a disaster, this would be a good plan. In fact, I have copies of the applications and a list of what is installed, including an image of Windows 10 and Office, stored in a folder on the D: drive. But I also have a copy of the D: drive on an external storage kept safe.
    So, all I need is a USB stick where a create an image of Windows 10 using Rufus tool.

Each backup software have its own methodology, and you will have to learn your application of choice.

I guess you will need to rethink your strategy and decide on the next action steps.

Good luck.

15. hola españa

hola españa MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2021
    KMSPICO IS A MALWARE!!!!
    (and adware)

16. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    ...and abandoned for years.

It depends on where you downloaded it.