Microsoft discontinues Windows Phones

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by GOD666, Oct 11, 2017.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015

Attached Files:

2. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    yeah HP discontinued the last windows 10 phone to come out the Elite X3 but microsoft will support till 2019 with security updates; yeah am sure billy gates kids on iphone and xbox/playstation/nintendo and whatever else kids love which is how any company should follow trends :)

3. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Post-Gates era seems quite problematic for Microsoft. They seem to have no idea which way to go. Windows 10 as a service, announcement that W10 will be the last Windows, etc. And now Windows Mobile. They had plenty of time to make something worthy in a battle against iOS/Android but didn't do anything special. Rewriting apps for Windows Mobile 10, paying devs for making more apps was a poor choice it seems.

4. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    Windows Phone is based in Windows 7 and 8, so no more features are introduced, just extended support for security updates, now the development continue in Windows 10 Mobile.

5. Exactly. Why don't they just go bankrupt already and die? Microsoft is finished.

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @Winter: IMHO they're trying to implement ideas that Bill Gates came up with, but Bill Gates isn't there to manage the 'day to day'.

New leadership, new way of doing things. I must admit that, from my perspective, it has been a bit of a struggle for them.

It all boils down to profits. Bill Gates mentioned Windows as a service himself, back in the days of Windows 98.

And MS has always 'farmed out' code. It served them well in the past.
    Perhaps different management is causing this?

Not by a longshot. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. They have nothing left except the monopoly of OEM machines.

I won't comment on the Windows phones because I know little of it since I've never actually used one them. But I can say that it's highly unlikely for microsoft to capture the mobile market. Android will be the leader for years to come.

Windows as a service might have been an ideea back in the day but it never actually took shape untill Bill Gates retired, why is that? They had the money, the vision why did they start the WaaS from Windows NT?
    Windows 10 is a mixture of many ideas wrapped under one package. They have no direction, no goals other than making money. And all they do is shove useless crap with their OSes and see what the reaction of the public. For instance, Windows 8 was released with metro interface, the people didn't like it, they made 8.1 with an even crappier metro interface with a useless start button. That's what they do: bumble like a bunch of hasbins.

Microsoft Office has bugs that are more than 10 years old. You might think that a new product version would equal bug fixes and the new functionalities. In their case is the opposite: they add functionalities but never repair their old bugs. Same with Windows and Windows Server. And Office 2010 is much faster than 2016, makes you think doesn't it?

Windows Server is an expensive piece of crap. It works for the moment for them because of their Active Directory.
    Windows 10 has linux shell capabilities and see they will port Active Directory to linux, as well as Hyper-v and SCCM.

As for me, I have 2 desktops and 2 laptops and all of them will be moved to linux in the next couple of weeks. I can't use 10, it annoys me and insults my intelligence.

8. wendellhill

wendellhill MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2018
    I don't like Windows Phone

9. Gentle

Gentle MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2009
    Bit gutted, holding on to the 950xl until it dies completely, sadly windows phone was an excellent mobile os, I've got an android device, just can't get on with it, looks like the future is throwing money at apple for me, sad times :(

10. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Azure (cloud computing) is making tons of $ for them and just keeps growing. It's growing so much that some stock analysts think MS could be the first company to reach a trillion dollars in market capitalization. It's a race between them, Apple, Google and Amazon. MS is far from done- they're just evolving.

Did you make the switch to linux?

I agree. It's unfortunate that Windows Phone didn't get more popular because it was a good mobile OS. Lack of apps hurt them. Hopefully MS will get back in the phone market in the future and use this chapter as a learning experience.

11. Yes, and I'm very happy. I can do things a lot more easier and quicker on linux than I ever would of done with windows. For the first 2 months I used to have dual boot windows and linux but now I still dual boot, just linux with linux. This is mostly because some distros are more stable than others.

12. Marianna7x

Marianna7x MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2017
    Unfortunately, they put a lot of money and time into it for nothing, then they arrive and they end everything.

13. RACERPRO

RACERPRO MDL Senior Member

Feb 13, 2008
    #15 RACERPRO, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    I had two 630 lumia, which now belong to my daughters. Currently I have a lumia 650 that I use daily and a new one still in box for whem this one fails to work. My wife has two 640XL lumia one on daily use also. I've had in the past androids (I did not like them and until today don´t like the boring software interface), I like microsoft still updates the 650 and 640XL and still receive monthly updates, software problems everyone has, the idea of microsoft was good, but at the time problems with windows vista and later on windows 8, led microsoft to spend engineers and resources to solve the problems of the operating systems (vista and 8) and forgot the phones. It's a shame because I like the operating system in general and I use it daily, just like my whole family. Maybe this year will appear the new microsoft with folding screen with windows 64bit software for ARM 64bit.