[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
  2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #382 kaljukass, Apr 15, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Deleted

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    DONE! MS Edgium is now both portable and default on my PC! The Administrator popup needs to go away somehow!

I am also curious how MS plans to update Edgium when stable versions get released. Will it be updated only via cumulative updates or only via its own manual updater or both? I hope it doesn't come an AppX.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #384 kaljukass, Apr 15, 2019
    Deleted

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Do you have UAC disabled? I was hoping that because Edigium is not an AppX and gets this Admin-rights message, it could serve as a template on what makes that message show up and how to prevent it. AppX structure remains elusive, but Edgium should show us the light!

6. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Strange, but it seems that Chrome and MS Store offer the same exact extensions, but Edgium detects them as separate entities. For example, you can have 2 uBlock Origins - one from Chrome store and one from MS store. Both look and act exactly the same way, you can have both at the same time... I decided to stick with Chrome-only extensions because uBlock Origin needs to have 2 parts, the normal/regular one and the EXTRA part. The uBlock Origin EXTRA part is not offered in MS Store, its only offered in Chrome store.

As far as translations go - who cares? Google Translate extension is already available! MS needs only to enhance security, compatiblity, and performance of Edgium to beat competition. I think it already won, but its quite unfair to compare it to Chrome, given how Chrome is in the heart of Chromium (or vice versa). Is Chronium 100% free open-source or did MS pay to it licensed?

7. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Microsoft is part of the Chromium Group and is working directly with Google.

8. WildByDesign

WildByDesign MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2013
    Cleaning with CCleaner:

Edge Chromium is cleaning quite nicely with CCleaner being that it is Chromium-based.

Simply add this to your ccleaner.ini file:

Code:
    [Options]
    CustomLocation1=CHROME|R:\Profiles\Chrome\Default
    CustomLocation2=CHROME|R:\Profiles\Chromium\Default
    CustomLocation3=THUNDERBIRD|R:\Profiles\Thunderbird
    CustomLocation4=CHROME|C:\Users\~redacted~\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default
    Those are just examples. But the bottom 'CustomLocation4' is my working example for Edge Chromium. Just change the redacted username to your username. If you are just adding the one example for Edge Chromium, it would be like this:

Code:
    [Options]
    CustomLocation1=CHROME|C:\Users\~redacted~\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default
    Please keep in mind that CCleaner will not (at least I don't thnk) warn you to close your browser first in this case because under the CHROME setting, it will be looking for a chrome.exe running process. However, Microsoft is using msedge.exe as the executable name. Aside from this, the cleaner is working as expected.

Cleaning with BleachBit:

I use BleachBit primarily, not so much CCleaner. I just have not had the time to create a cleaner in BB for Edge Chromium. But I will do this later today hopefully. If I do create the cleaner and if it works well, I will share it here later as well.

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #390 kaljukass, Apr 15, 2019
    Deleted

10. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
    Cleaning with BleachBit:

If you are a BleachBit user like myself, here is a custom cleaner for Edge Chromium. This is based off the original chromium.xml cleaner and altered for cleaning Edge Chromium.

I have redacted my username within the xml file. So first, you will need to edit the edge_chromium.xml file on lines 32 and 38.

Those lines look like the following:
    Code:
      <var name="base">
        <value os="windows">C:\Users\~redacted~\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data</value>

<var name="profile">
        <value os="windows">C:\Users\~redacted~\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default</value>
    Simply change the two ~redacted~ parts to your user name. Or if you use a custom profile location with the
    --user-data-dir switch, you can change accordingly dependent on your directory structure.

• You must be using BleachBit 2.2 minimum.
    • Ensure that BleachBit is closed.
    • Copy the edge_chromium.xml file to your relevant 'BleachBit\share\cleaners' folder.
    • Start BleachBit and you will now see the new Edge Chromium section in the user interface.
    • Check off whatever you wish to clean. Preview to ensure that it is working first.

Personally, I check off all options to clean with the exception of Vacuum since I don't think that is necessary to do very often. Use as you wish.

Note: There are still some sections within the edge_chromium.xml file which are not relevant, such as different OS settings for Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Those settings don't matter in this case since this Edge Chromium cleaner that I am sharing is only aimed at Windows users.

Since this is based off the original chromium.xml cleaner, there may be some things that are not relevant anymore that Microsoft has removed from Edge Chromium, or there also may be some things that Microsoft has added that can potentially be cleaned from within the profile. We can always add or remove items from this edge_chromium.xml file as necessary. We'll have to see what the CCleaner folks do once Edge Chromium is release as Stable channel release and also community projects such as winapp2.ini (which BleachBit can also use) and see what these developers add for cleaning Edge Chromium. So my cleaner release today is simply just a temporary solution that is working well at the moment.

I have attached the edge_chromium.xml file within a zip archive since that is required to upload to this forum.

Attached Files:

11. EvilRaiser

EvilRaiser MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2011
    No new Dev build yet?

12. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #394 kaljukass, Apr 15, 2019
    Deleted

13. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Don't forget that the Dev channel only updates once a week, and the week is not up yet.

14. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Maybe everyone should just use the Canary builds and be done with it, 'cause the Dev builds will obviously be buggy as well given their nature, so why not just stay completely ahead of the curve and use Canary? :D

15. WildByDesign

Sep 8, 2013
  16. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
  17. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    maybe to avoid Google services ?

for security reasons you should not do that.

18. tistou77

tistou77 MDL Expert

Mar 22, 2008
    If it's just for that, I hope Microsoft will "customize" this new Edge :D

Disabled since Vista and never had a problem
    If the new Edge needs the UAC, stay with Chrome or old Edge

If Microsoft adds the favorites button (like IE and Microsoft Edge), remove this restriction with the UAC, I will use it :p