[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #61 thejester77, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
  2. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Installed the 109 build mentioned above, haven't noticed any real difference in performance so far but yes that damned Edge Insider page is always there upon opening the browser so, still attempting to figure out how to render that disabled. Nice to see not one but two leaks in under what, 12 hours? :D

3. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #63 thejester77, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Spent the last 20 mins trying to figure out a way to end that splash screen... Took advantage of Win10 1903 Sandbox feature and loaded v109 into that, looked file by file with my main system and still couldn't find the needle in the haystack.

Unfortantely, running the Edge Insider within sandbox would only load it up as Admin User and everytime I hit the close and run regular button, it would just load back up as Admin. So that tells me Sandboxing runs everything in an elevated state.

If you happen to find the needle in the haystack, please let me know. Everything is working great, and I'm really liking this browser the more I use it. Even though there are more things running in the background vs Edge's background, this seems to still be smoother, and using less resources than Edge did.

I wish this version would allow me to sync, but all our user data is stored locally so I not worried, found all those files while searching for a way to remove the splash screen.

I let the poster know about MEGA because he was worried about using up his Azure bandwidth/credits, so he might have pulled the download link I posted earlier, and he pulled the lastest tweet where he posted the link as well... I hope he sets up a MEGA account and continues posting new builds until Microsoft either opens a new channel for Insiders (other than Azure, and 365 accounts) but like Windows Insider Program (which the signup page makes you believe that's what they were going to do), but it's Microsoft... they always say one thing and completly go another direction majority of the time.

I can't wait till we get a Insiders build that will allow updates within Edge or and Open Insiders Program for Edge... or a final version out of testing and ready for game time... which so far, besides getting more extensions available within the new Extensions store, and deciding to bring over more layouts/formats from the original Edge Browser like Reading View (where we can choose colors, fonts, read out loud, etc), favorites icon/button (which I do miss), turn off autoplay (settings), reading lists & ebooks (would be nice if users could store or upload to onedrive their ebooks for usage)... maybe a couple more little things I can't think of at the moment, but all I used was Edge so from a 100% Edge user, this new Edge is almost complete!!!

Update: Just opened up Task Manager and this build is using less background functions then the previous version of Edge Insiders and the real Edge browser. Only background functions now are just the tabs I have opened... I like that, the original Edge had so many brokers running in the background and that stupid Firefox bug where if you clicked anywhere on a page it would jump to the top of the webpage.

4. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    I downloaded from the Mega Link and opened with 7zip and extracted to a folder and am running it without installation. Installed Chrome addons without issue and seems to run fine. I am a Firefox User but like the feel of this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #69 kaljukass, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Deleted

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I can confirm it can run as a portable browser.
    Unpack MicrosoftEdge_X64_75.0.109.0.exe with 7-zip
    Unpack MSEDGE.7z
    Run msedge.exe

7. bonesz

bonesz MDL Addicted

Jun 30, 2013
    exactly. I simply unpacked with 7zip to a folder and as the above stated ran msedge.exe.

8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #72 kaljukass, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Deleted

9. ESMJJ

ESMJJ MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    is it safe to log in sites using this leaked version?

10. manifesto

manifesto MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2017
    I had to uninstall the previous version and install the latest one in order to get rid of that statup page.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    Installing for me and others mean the installer program to write registry entries and write files to several directories.

Portables should be "stealth", i.e., to not write reg entries at all and just write files to their own directory.

Regard chromium-based browser, they're not truly portable. They don't keep that "stealth" feature as a true portable should have. John T. Haller said: "Even it's "portable" option loses stuff like passwords as you move around and leaves things behind. In browsers like Opera (which also loses passwords) you can sync to Opera to recover them on each PC. Vivaldi has no sync features so you just lose a bunch of stuff as you move PCs. Even all the work we put into Google Chrome only makes it just barely mostly portable (and you still need to login to sync or you lose data) unlike something like Firefox which is fully and truly portable."

To make chromium based browser as stealthy or truly portable as possible, extra work is needed. And by extra I mean a lot of work by portable apps authors, whoever these might be.

End of off-topic.

12. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    yes, its signed by Microsoft.

13. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Besides getting rid of the Insiders page, did that fix the syncing issues too???

14. tripog

tripog MDL Junior Member

Sep 27, 2012
    it didnt for me, but can confirm it did fix the insiders page thing.

15. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    If this browser is truly Netflix-1080p/4K-capable, then this is so good... Finally - no more need to mess with LTSB/LTSC and Edge integration to get Netflix quality playback!

16. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I didn't install, only extracted the zip package and while it works, it does give me the same startup message no matter how I change settings. It also doesn't have dark mode... Version is 75.0.107.0. I have UAC disabled and don't plan on changing that just for this new Edge browser.