[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. tripog

tripog MDL Junior Member

Sep 27, 2012
    you know this is still in development right? I mean surely transferring an install like this is surely way back on the priority list for most people.

2. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Right, right, because nobody else ever re-installs anything considering all the alpha and beta and release candidate software most of us are constantly testing and you're all using the same builds since day one when Windows 10 first leaked, right. Your rather lackluster attempt at humor, well, it's rather lackluster to be honest. :rolleyes:

3. tripog

tripog MDL Junior Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Most people have the common sense to not test software on systems where they are worried about losing data.

4. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Most people understand that testing software means re-installing a wide variety of software including OSes quite frequently, but alas, some people don't seem to grasp that concept either.

Anywho... thanks for your oh-so-invaluable insights, suffice to say I've handled the situation and no data was lost which was never the concern to begin with but alas, that's just another thing some people miss because of a lack of reading comprehension. ;)

5. tripog

tripog MDL Junior Member

Sep 27, 2012
    #805 tripog, May 17, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    great, why don't you share with the community the process?

i guess you can request help in this thread but sharing what you find out on your own is a big no no

6. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #806 thejester77, May 18, 2019
    Last edited: May 18, 2019
    Copy/Backup the DEFAULT Folder from: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data\

This location is for CANARY RING... if your using DEV RING, search for the User Data folder and then copy/backup the DEFAULT folder.

The size of the DEFAULT Folder can be large depending on how long you've been using Edgeium and how much data/favorites/extensions/settings/etc. you might have... mine is over 1GB.

Install your version of Edge your testing to new system or refreshed system... load up Edge and then close it out.

Delete the DEFAULT folder that gets installed from the location above (CANARY RING ONLY) and then copy/move the backup/copy of your DEFAULT folder from previous system.

That should work... some have said they had issues because of encryption, others had no problems and everything loaded like you had it before... enjoy!!!

PS... if someone using DEV RING could post the location of the DEFAULT Folder for me that would be great... I can add it to my notes and share with others the next time this question is asked again.

Thanx :):D:cool:

7. qta3426

qta3426 MDL Senior Member

Oct 11, 2014
    canary 76.0.162.0 is out.

8. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    My Wife uses the Dev version on her AIO desktop and this is where it appears to be:

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data\Default

And thanks for the writeup of sorts, pretty much what I discovered with some trial and effort myself. ;)

9. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Thank you for replying... Will add this location to my notes and hopefully for those testing the DEV RING they will know now too.

11. Hasefroch

Hasefroch MDL Senior Member

Dec 24, 2018
    For BETA the path is:
    C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta\User Data\Default
    I am running it right now in LTSC

12. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanks for the location of the BETA Channel location... Adding to my notes...

13. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Here's the location for CANARY, DEV & BETA Default Folder Locations for users who would like to backup/copy their Edge Account for backup and/or re-installation purposes.

---------------------
    CANARY RING
    ---------------------

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge SxS\User Data\Default

---------------
    DEV RING
    ---------------

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Dev\User Data\Default

----------------
    BETA RING
    ----------------

C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge Beta\User Data\Default

Thanks to all for providing these locations... :D:):cool:

14. windows builder

windows builder MDL Guru

Sep 13, 2017
    New line in build 76.0.162.0 Canary:

clipboard.png

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #816 kaljukass, May 19, 2019
    Last edited: May 19, 2019
    Fantastic, Microsoft makes very important changes!
    It is very interesting, how do they know that the best place to close the browser is exactly there?

16. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I kinda got used to that Close aspect not being there, actually, and I kinda preferred it that way. Because I had developed a kind of muscle-memory thing to going to Help and Feedback - About Microsoft Edge at the very bottom of the pop-up menu to check for updates, the first two times after build 162 became available I ended up closing the browser accidentally 'cause of that new option. I'm used to it now, sure, but it irked me those two times I hit it. ;)

17. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    LOL you're not the only one!

18. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    #820 SAM-R, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    (OP)