[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
  2. Sean Pereira

Sean Pereira MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2018
    Anyway to change the search provider from bing to google on this new edge ?

3. Leopeva64

Leopeva64 MDL Expert

Oct 4, 2016
  4. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Been using both versions that have been uploaded... I ran the installer as Admin, and of course nothing (only looks that way) happens, except after a few an icon for Edge is created on the destop. I keep a clean desktop, and didn't have the default Edge icon on the desktop either, so I knew right away once Edge icon appeared on desktop that it was the Insiders version.

If you already had Edge icon on desktop, try double clicking it after you install the Insider version. See if it opens up the Insider Edge version, and yes, it will take a couple minutes to load up the first time as well (most likely retrieving things in the background and online) but it will open. First run will tell you that it suggests not running Edge in Admin mode (click button to reopen browser as user for better performance), click that button and you will be good to go.

If for whatever reason you don't think it installed or was installed, here's where it installs to: C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\Application

There you will find: msedge

As well as all the other folders it uses... And for those who used portable app versions of Chrome or Firefox, you will feel right at home with everything.

Hope this helps.

For those who said they uninstalled the old version and then reinstalled the newer version... Did you just delete all the folders from the directory or was there a hidden uninstaller or did you run a command to uninstall???

If you could post what you did, that would be great...

Thanx

5. manifesto

manifesto MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2017

You can uninstall it as any other software from control panel but I'm not sure if it's leaving any traces behind.

6. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Quick question... How did you uninstall it???

Did you just delete all the folders in the directory it was installed, or was there a hidden uninstaller (I couldn't find one) or did you run a command line???

Many thanx if you could let me know.

7. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #90 thejester77, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    Thanks for the reply... The only place I didn't check (old Control Panel... Program and Features section)... Was running on insomnia at 4am and didn't check there... LOL

Update: That's strange... When I looked at Apps & Features (through Settings icon in Windows Start Button) after I installed v109 it didn't show up... but now it's there... LOL

I'm tempted to uninstall and reinstall to remove splash screen... but new users are saying they are having install errors/problems (wonder if Microsoft shutdown the test server on the backend)...

So I think I can live with the splash screen for now, to be on the safe side... but Edge did show up in Apps & Features and I will uninstall/remove before doing the next update/upgrade if another one posts...

Thanx

8. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    BTW, I couldn't figure out how to disable the Administrator message, but to get rid of the whole startup mess, you can use New Tab Redirect Chrome extension!

9. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    yes, and works fine.

10. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    for dark mode, just open about:flags and search for dark.

11. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #94 thejester77, Mar 25, 2019
    Try running Edge as ADMIN yourself (By default it opens that way but I really don't think it's your Account as Admin doing it, just a temp system account/admin), then click the button again... and it will load as regular user the next time... I think that's the only bug I have found so far.

Are you running it via full installation or like a portable able (unzipped the MsEdge.zip) and running it from that folder??? If running from unzipped folder like a portable app, I believe you will be stuck in Admin mode... I ran into same problem when I loaded up Windows Sandbox app and installed there, seems that Sandboxing only runs apps in Admin mode too... :(

I'm running it from full installation, but I installed over the v107 version... losing syncing and now seeing Insiders Splash screen... but from what others are saying, the syncing is not working on v109 (Microsoft probably saw too many new users using the leaked builds and turned off syncing to preserve syncing server stats and functionality) but everything is saved locally on within USERS folder along will all your extensions, favorites, etc.

So I'm not worried about syncing so much, everything appears each time I open and close... just that splash screen, which I instantly close out and go on my merry way of browsing normally (testing)... LOL

Update: Just extracted v109 and ran like a portable app... all my settings and user account popped up, so it looks like things are still being saved and accessed from USERS folder regardless if you fully install or run it as a portable app.

Also, everytime I ran into that ADMIN switch to USER option, everytime I hit the button it would reopen the same way... Try running Edge again as ADMIN, then click the button again... and it will load as regular user the next time... I think that's the only bug I have found so far.

Enjoy

12. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    does check for updates work cause I run it portable and it doesn't work

13. jeff69dini

jeff69dini MDL Expert

Nov 22, 2008
    not bad for html 5 test I guess

htmltest.jpg

14. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    #97 thejester77, Mar 25, 2019
    Unfortantely no... even on v107 when syncing was enabled.

The screenshots you see online where everything seems to work are all part of the Azure Edge Insiders Program... I heard that some 365 users are testing too, but probably MS cherry picked some corporate 365 accounts to allow testing.

15. rcstar6696

rcstar6696 MDL Senior Member

Jun 11, 2017
    #98 rcstar6696, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    -snip-

16. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
  17. rcstar6696

rcstar6696 MDL Senior Member

Jun 11, 2017