[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Thanx for clarifying...

I'm just glad that I was able to get my hands on a copied version, and hope he continues posting them until Microsoft opens Edge Insider testing to the public like Windows 10 Insiders Program.

An official download/installer is always preferred, but in this case (since Edge Insiders signup has been over 2 months now with no results), getting my hands on early and testing is still great as long as it's a clean copy/version.

Thanx once again...

2. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
  3. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I run like it portable, but it's not portable, the account and user info is saved in C:\Users\AccountName directory. I wish someone could make it truly portable. It should be possible now that it uses Chromium. BTW, does Administrator launch suffer from performance issues compared to Non-Admin? The message says that Non-Admin is needed for best performance, but I doubt such is the case.

Anyway, none of it is a big deal to me. I only need this new Edge for Netflix, although so far nobody reported that 1080p and 4K modes are possible in Netflix with this Chromium Edge.

I assume it will eventually become an AppX, right? It would be nice if, instead of becoming AppX, it would fully replace IE in 2019 LTSC.

4. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    Need link to 109 portable ZIP version!

5. OrdinaryNova

OrdinaryNova MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2019
    Will this "traitor browser" come with 19H1 ?

6. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    better install it.

7. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It has not been a part of the 19H1 development path.

8. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    traitor ? wtf xD

and obviously it will not come in 19H1 because is still under development.

9. thejester77

thejester77 MDL Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Download from the link I posted earlier... Then extract exe (WinRar or 7zip) to folder of your choice and then run it like a portable... You might have to extract another zip inside the exe I believe MSEdge.zip to folder, but then you can run it like a portable minus the data still being stored on your computer via USER Folder/Directory.

Enjoy

10. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    The New Edge IS NOT part of the Insider Program. It is an add-on Browser being developed by the Edge Team for Win 7, Win 8.1, Win 10, Mac.

11. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #111 kaljukass, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Deleted

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  12. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Thank you for this. It works!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. colinzim

colinzim MDL Senior Member

May 14, 2007
  14. MonarchX

MonarchX MDL Expert

May 5, 2007
    I have it like this:
    D:\Apps\Edge\MSEdge.exe --user-data-dir="..\User Data"

The problem is that "User Data" directory does not show up anywhere in "D:\Apps\Edge" with that shortcut command, but I do know the original "User Data" is in "C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data" and that one does work...

EDIT: Nevermind, it just appears outside of that directory.

Version 109 adds yet another StartUp issue with Insider page loading up. Tab Redirect extension has no effect on it...

15. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Also noted that everytime I open an external URL (from another app) into this "Edgium" it brings up that damned Edge Insider preview page at the same time so I sure hope someone figures out how to resolve that - that is if anyone else has noted this as well. I have a text file with some links that I never bookmarked, and Notepad++ (my text editor of choice) turns the text into clickable links so when I double-click to select one it brings up "Edgium" (now set as my default browser) and each time it opens two tabs: the one I'm attempting to get to as well as that Edge Insider preview page.

I know these issues will work themselves out in time, it could be because this browser isn't technically part of the non-Insider usage parameters but even so, would be nice to get some aspects disabled at this point in time, sure.

16. Jumbo Flapjack

Jumbo Flapjack MDL Junior Member

Jan 29, 2019
    Is this "beta" even usable as an everyday browser or should I just stick to Chrome for now?

17. JeanYuhs

JeanYuhs MDL Member

Feb 16, 2010
    Been using it since the first leak about 36 hours ago, I have zero issues with it so far. The extensions I've installed (uBlock Origin unpacked, etc) all work exactly as they should. I have had no problems whatsoever (and I'm using the latest which is the 109 build) and it's fast as hell in "daily" use. It's damned impressive for what's been accomplished but it's not as if Microsoft was starting from scratch: Chromium itself has been in development for a decade so it's fairly easy to port and modify it over and make the changes to turn it into "Edgium" as a lot of people are referring to it.

I know I just posted about the external links issue, and people have commented about the Edge Insider preview page loading at startup but I don't consider those as "issues" or problems since this thing is actively being developed. When it's done, however, if it still did that crap sure it would be an issue, but for the moment things are changing with each build so that's that.

For me personally, it works, and it works great, but that's just my own experience. It's extremely fast, it loads YouTube videos faster than any browser I've ever used, including the latest Chrome, it still allows one to mute the tab with the click on the volume icon on the tab itself (as noted earlier in this thread), and... well, did I say it's fast? :D

18. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #118 kaljukass, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Deleted

19. cengizhan

cengizhan MDL Senior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    vivaldi has sync feature. but it always breaks after a few use.

20. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    #120 SAM-R, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    (OP)