[DISCUSSION] Microsoft Edge

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by SAM-R, Mar 18, 2019.

1. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    megabit. No ?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    But tell, what do these numbers mean and why You wrote there "Internet speed" ?
    What did you mean with these numbers?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    He left the 2nd part off. Should be MBps. Mega Bits per Second for Download Speed.

4. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    I know this. What I said is, Edge classic has the highest speed of download speed (with checking IE11, Edge can/stable and Google chrome).
    I didn't check Opera and Vivaldi.

5. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2505 kaljukass, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Thank You.
    OK. I finally found out what he meant. But I still don't understand how the speed of the internet can depend on the web browser.
    Cannot say there's no matter what units to use, can not buy three hundred bits per second of sausage.
    Internet speed is determined by the system providing the service and is in no way related to any browser.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. SAM-R

SAM-R MDL Guru

Mar 21, 2015
    Canary Channel has jumped from 84 to 85
    Microsoft Edge Canary 85.0.528.0

7. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
  8. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
  9. Paradoxx_

Paradoxx_ MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2017
    Yes I've noticed the license terms agreement popup is off screen when opened in Edge Legacy and you can't get it into view, I've seen it on dozens of systems the last few weeks, both in HE-IL and EN-US localized Windows 10 versions.

10. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    Yes, indeed the speed depends on the ISP.
    I found another curious thing.
    When I tested with the same internet with different browsers, the pings were as follows:
    Edge Classic - 4 ms
    Google Chrome - 17 ms,
    Firefox - 20 ms and
    Edge Chromium - 17 ms
    Is there any explanation to it ?
    Regards

11. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    Update about my previous comment about (not) importing passwords way back in this thread. I gave it another try at 83.0.478.37 and there is still no option to import passwords from a previously exported file (so why have the export option?), but now it does/did import mine from Firefox, so that works! :thumbsup: Think I will leave it installed for a while, seems good for a second/alternative browser.

12. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Can someone who watches Netflix with Edge use Process Hacker or similar software that would trace files-in-use when Netflix 1080p or 4K playback is used? Newer versions of Windows require HEVC from Microsoft Store, something LTSC versions do not support. The only real way to tell if you're getting 1080p or 4K playback is to press CTRL+ALT+DEL+D during playback. It will show you stats and resolution.

13. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    We get 720p resolution in Edge Chrome, this I checked by using 'Test Patterns' in Netflix.
    ctrl+alt+del+D doesn't take us anywhere but to task manager, there must be some other combination ?

HEVC is available in MS Store for about a dollar, does it help playing Neftlix in 1080p ?

14. takeru788

takeru788 MDL Novice

May 30, 2017
    You can install apps from the store on LTSC if you download them directly. Copy the link from the web (app page on MS Store) and paste it here: store.rg-adguard.net - Then you download the x64 appx packages. To install you have to open Powershell as admin and type this for each package (libraries first):
    Add-AppxPackage <path_to_file.appx>

HEVC (free version): microsoft.com/en-us/p/hevc-video-extensions-from-device-manufacturer/9n4wgh0z6vhq

I've tried this with other apps before, not this one though. Tell us if it works.

15. DirtyAngelicaSecured

Mar 30, 2020
    Yeah, I know about installing AppX that way, but my OS is super-tweaked and ripped with NTLite. There's no way to install AppX on my system and I am happy about it. I did resolve my problem with Netflix! Kodi Netflix plugin does 1080p playback without issues! Kodi even allows you to overwrite HDCP settings, let's you use upscalers, 3DLUT (color management, calibration), etc.

The funky part is that Netflix 1080p videos don't use HEVC. They use VP9 codec. Stupid Netflix policies is what prevents people from seeing 1080p playback on Chrome and Firefox browsers. It has nothing to do with HEVC. 4K may be a different story. Now I have to figure out a way to get Hulu to play at 1080p. Hulu policies are even worse. They have very specific hardware requirements for 1080p playback. It cannot be done through browsers and there is no Hulu Kodi plugin/addon.

16. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I think that option of exporting bookmarks exports only bookmarks, nothing else, whereas importing from another browser imports passwords too.
    Regards

17. Dude Guyman

Dude Guyman MDL Senior Member

Jun 20, 2017
    #2517 Dude Guyman, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    I am talking about the option to "Export Passwords", not bookmarks. Why have export of passwords to a .csv file but no option to import them back?

The workaround for me is to import browser data, including passwords (did not work before, does now) from Firefox. My point being, what if down the road I didn't have Firefox installed any more (because the point was to get rid of it), I would have no way to import the passwords that I just exported after a new install, or to my second PC right next to me, or whatever, and remembering and typing in hundreds of them into a new browser would be a deal breaker for sure!

export.jpg

18. MELERIX

MELERIX MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2011
    Microsoft Edge Stable is now 83.0.478.44

19. shrinivas

shrinivas MDL Member

Apr 10, 2015
    I am sorry, I didn't even know that such a facility existed !